Help!.. Cam damage..& Cam Mfgers's 4-7 swap??

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Help!.. Cam damage..& Cam Mfgers's 4-7 swap??

Hello All

Ok so i have to replace the cam on my "new to me 582" Went to change the lifters and found a Lobe has a small chip missing on the center of the lobe where lifter roller contacts..Is this common?? The lifter riding on this lobe was ok..so im a little confused.
What mfg is making good cams these days? BBC 582- roller-hi 700's lift. In the past i actually had luck with Comp cams in my SBC. Any suggestions would be great
Is it worth going to a 4/7 swap cam?...

Thanks in Advance
Keith
Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Keith,

There are some real good guys with a lot of time on the 582 combo. The biggest variable at this cubic inch when planning your cam will be the type of head you are using and if you will be on gas or alky. I believe that Tracey Dennis at Sunset is a great reference book and would sell you the cam you need. If you tell a little more on the the combo I could get my cam specs from both my 582's and I know Hammertime will pop in and drop info on his cam.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Check our Reher Morrsions website, look at the super series cam for a 565. 806/765 lift 4/7 swap. Its what we call a great all around cam from 540 to 600ci, it doesnt eat up parts and makes good hp.

IMO i'd change the lifters .. the what if, is not worth the risk IMO
Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

I second the Reher Morrison grinds. I swapped springs at 175 passes even tho they were still up to spec and replaced lifters at 250 altho thoses too were still looking great. They say there grinds are good on parts and I'll go with that. I did upgrade the lifters to Crower pressure fed pin oiling. Better to be safe than sorry.

Craig
Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Cam-- engine specs

Thanks guys ..

I am running Alcohol... with Dart 360 heads.. The heads do not have alot of work done to them them. I just spent over 900 bucks on the Isky roller x extreme lifters.. thats when we found the 'chip" in the lobe on the cam. i figure at this point maybe new valve springs are in order to go with the new lifters and cam. Bear with me im not an "engine builder thats for sure.
I will look at the cams u guys are suggesting. i apreciate it ..

Thanks
Keith
Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

The RM 420-116 would be a real good choice with that head on alky. We went with the 420-117 with the Brodix 3xtra-0 heads and it left some on the table. The car repeated like a copy machine but the intake and exhaust durations just ended up being all wrong. The new 582 has a stick compliments of Tracey at Sunset. It is what they are running in their 582xtra motors. We will see what it does. If this motor isn't running strong 7.50's then I have 1 more cam that I will have my guy try using last years 582 motor when I send it for freshening.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

that 420-116 # is what I use and what Nyes uses in their stuff. That cam will be perfect for what you have.

Your doing right to replace the springs when doing it, that way you know for sure all is done right.