Carpet or Vinyl?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Carpet or Vinyl?

I am putting some heat shield and sound deadener in my 66 Chevy II. The 3.5 inch Spintechs are a little loud and hot for street cruisin.

I don't want to pay $500 to have someone put in Carpet. I can buy carpet or Vinyl for about $75. I don't have a sewing machine and couldn't use it if I did. I have a roll bar inside at 8 points.

Question is: Should I buy and cut and install Carpet or Vinyl myself? I think I can cut the Vinyl easier than the carpet, but concerned about the appearance.

Thanks,

Long question with coffee in the morning,

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

If it were mine it would be carpet. I would think if you have stock floor pans you could by factory type carpet then slit it to go around your bars> i would use maybe like a velcro underit to keep slits together or just by race weight carpet and put it in. But vinyl i think i would keep that for the kitchen or bathroom floors. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

I bought the molded carpet for my last car and used a razor knife and cut it real nice and neat around the cage. It actually looked like they put the roll bar through the carpet. Just take your time you will be real happy with the look. You can buy fitted carpet for that car for about $99-$130. Good luck show us some pictures when you are done.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

I have an aftermarket trans tunnel and fabbed floor pans. None of the stock pieces will fit, not even close.

My preference is the carpet, but I don't have the means to whip the edges after cutting. and it is not real easy to cut and fit.

That is the only reason I am considering Vinyl with maybe floor mats.

A custom install is about $500 I found out today.

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

undercoat the bottom of the floor pans and trans tunnel to keep the heat down...they make a rubberized spray on from the can that will work pretty good..will also help with sound

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-14-2009, 03:15 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks Bjuice,

There's an idea I didn't think about. I'm thinking of spraying the inside of the car because it will be easier than pulling the tran and exhaust for the bottom.

Steve