Resurrecting an old race car - my first snag

Old 06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Resurrecting an old race car - my first snag

Amid all the gloom from both the rain, floods and not to mention tornados here in the midwest. I fared better than many of my neighbors. The twin tornados that struck here, passed less than a 1/2 mile north of my house. My worst inconvenience was going without water for 4 days. It did get old taking a bath out of milk jug. I've nothing to complain about, as I said, I have friends and neighbors that are still struggling.

In the further mis-adventures of restoring my Chevy II, I hit my first real problem. In the process of reworking my old 9" housing, which I've had for probably 34-35 years. It was under one of my old 67 Mustangs and saw numerous trips down the drag strip before it was shortened and wound up under my Nova. To cut to the chase, the old housing is cracked in the sealing surface and proceeds into the tube.

It will be replaced with a new fabbed 9" from Competion Engineering. I just picked it up this afternoon. This was an expense I didn't expect. On the bright side, all those new Alston Chassis parts will have something pretty to ride on. I guess we can say, now the real work begins.

I also, opened up a hole in the trunk and have mocked up my new 8 gallon fuel cell. It's progress of sorts, at least some parts are starting to go back into and under the old thing.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:29 AM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default car

keep the faith! if thats all that goes bad your in great shape!!!it took me 2 years to complete my build of my funny car and i just got a 76 camaro me and my oldest boy are going to rebuild for a strip/street car. keep it up!!! glad to hear you weathered the storms ok. mike
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Resurrecting an old race car - my first snag

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Amid all the gloom from both the rain, floods and not to mention tornados here in the midwest. I fared better than many of my neighbors. The twin tornados that struck here, passed less than a 1/2 mile north of my house. My worst inconvenience was going without water for 4 days. It did get old taking a bath out of milk jug. I've nothing to complain about, as I said, I have friends and neighbors that are still struggling.

In the further mis-adventures of restoring my Chevy II, I hit my first real problem. In the process of reworking my old 9" housing, which I've had for probably 34-35 years. It was under one of my old 67 Mustangs and saw numerous trips down the drag strip before it was shortened and wound up under my Nova. To cut to the chase, the old housing is cracked in the sealing surface and proceeds into the tube.

It will be replaced with a new fabbed 9" from Competion Engineering. I just picked it up this afternoon. This was an expense I didn't expect. On the bright side, all those new Alston Chassis parts will have something pretty to ride on. I guess we can say, now the real work begins.

I also, opened up a hole in the trunk and have mocked up my new 8 gallon fuel cell. It's progress of sorts, at least some parts are starting to go back into and under the old thing.
Hey Robert,
Don't know how much C.E. charged you for your new housing. But i had A.R.T. do my fab 9" for the Anglia, and it included back bracing, 4 link brks, shock brks, and re-inforced inside, with big ford ends, for $1,070.00, but they may have given me a break because they also built the chassis.
But i really think you did the right thing by going to a fab 9".

Zip.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Mike/Zip,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike, I imagine, my timeframe wil be similar. If I'm real luckey, maybe sometime next year, we'll be in a position to start shaking the car down. Like I said in an earlier posting, if I get the suspension and paint/bodywork done by this fall, it will be a major accomplishment. My buddy is coming down from Indy tommorow amd we're going to start mocking the rearend and four link up

Zip, you're probably ahead of me pricewise. I got the housing from Automotion, a speed shop in Indianapolis. They charged me the same price you can get one from Summit/Jegs. It's just a straight housing, no back brace. With the housing, ends and the chassis parts, I'm into it for about 1400, so far.

It is an improvement over my old housing. I still remember pulling that thing out from under an old 58 Ford station wagon in a junkyard in Mooresville, Indiana. It saw alot of abuse under one of my old Mustangs. It's earned it's retirement!