Converter Problem

Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Converter Problem

Well I got a new 8" converter and put it in my car. (dont want to say the name just yet) Went to Bowling Green this weekend and 60 foots were from 1.48 - 1.52. All over the place and about .1 slower than should be. My lights were crazy to the point I was questioning if I forgot how to drive a car!

Anyways I get home and check the stall. It goes 5800, then it goes to 6100, then it goes to 6000. Hmmm seems odd so I pull it out and the fluid looks like syrup and stinks like gear oil mixed with a$$. The fluid from the pan stinks like that but is bright red.

Just wondering if you guys think the trans is fine or what has caused this. I think just a dud converter.

Forgot to mention the tranny is fresh from my regular guy.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Is this the one you shipped out of state in January? If so, they are a really stand up company so I would give them a call. If not, you have Marco in Warren or you have Jason at Quick Draw converters in Killbuck area. Either way, Dion should be able to get you info or shoot me a message and I can get you numbers.

This is an all new combo correct?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Yeah its an all new combo. I am gonna call them in the morning now that I know what the situation is. I have heard from alot of people that the service from Alabama is great. It was amazing how fast they got it to me. Hopefully they get it right, I would like to deal with them in the future.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Sprag failure will give those results. I have had a NEW 9.5" converter do that previously from JW performance and replacing the sprag fixed the problem.
Bruce
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Josh, if you're talking about Mussle Shoals Al. Kenny with stand behind any converter he builds 100% and will probably work with you on the shipping.

Zip.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Well PTC who built the converter told me when they cut it open that nothing was wrong. The wierd thing is that it took 4 days for them to ship it back. Being the skeptic that I am I put a Trans Specialties converter in it and went to Kil Kare saturday.

Well 6.47, 6.47, 6.47, 6.47, 6.46, 6.46 and a 6.48 on cold track. Got down to 6 cars. I called and told them about this, they still insisted nothing was wrong with the converter they built me. I politely told them that I have no use for them or their company.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Figures

Good call on your part Josh.
Bruce
Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Bruce, I am leaning towards it broke a sprag like you said or maybe the turbine was free wheeling, something that would cause a flow problem.

I bet that its perfectly fine now, after them having it apart for 4 days to fix "nothing". I wish they would just say well it was junk but we fixed it for you.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I thought you only got that line when you sent something to MSD for repair???