Alcohol vs Gas...MY set up..Help Please !

Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I feel so cheap.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:19 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

:P
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 AM
LuckyDawgRacing
CRAFTSMAN

I guessing the car was spinning the old rubber. with new rubber you should pickup a tenth, switch to alcohol with a carb and I'd say another .5 make it injection and you're in the 5.80's
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I'd leave it on gas. Yes you'll make more power, run quicker & cooler on alcohol, but the tradeoff in terms of maintenance and wear just isn't worth it. Especially on a pro street car. Alcohol carbs and injection idle fairly rich to help throttle response and starting, and WILL dilute/milk the oil. If set up properly, allowed to warm up and not cooled too quickly, it's not as bad, but it's still there....basically, if you want an engine that will run for several seasons without any major issues, run gas. If you want that extra tenth or two, the superior cooling and consistency, and don't mind completely freshing up your engine every year, run alky.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

A properly set up alky carb or injection will not milk the oil
My apd 950 1050 and 1150 never did
my toilet didnt
my terminator doesnt

My vote will always be for alky to much plus side.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
I'd leave it on gas. Yes you'll make more power, run quicker & cooler on alcohol, but the tradeoff in terms of maintenance and wear just isn't worth it. Especially on a pro street car. Alcohol carbs and injection idle fairly rich to help throttle response and starting, and WILL dilute/milk the oil. If set up properly, allowed to warm up and not cooled too quickly, it's not as bad, but it's still there....basically, if you want an engine that will run for several seasons without any major issues, run gas. If you want that extra tenth or two, the superior cooling and consistency, and don't mind completely freshing up your engine every year, run alky.
X2 Leave it on Gasoline,fall is comming and your going to need all the heat you can get
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I agree that a properly set up carb or injection won't milk the oil....much, and if your good enough to get it set up correctly right out of the box, which you apparently are, then SWEET! I've seen hundreds, yes hundreds of people changing the oil on their methanol fueled cars at the track after each event, and most of the oil looks like a milkshake. Perhaps milking isn't the correct term. You'll get enough fuel in the oil to eventually damage bearings, not to mention corrosion in the rest of the fuel system. Yes I know, if you maintain that stuff, keep the cell full, oil the pumps when empty,etc, most of that can be dealt with. My point is, on a pro street car, which this is, the additional maintanence is too much for the benefits of alcohol. You'll still be freshening the engine every season or a least replacing bearings: unless you feel lucky.....