want to race asphalt oval trucks

Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by stickboy331
you want to win thats good, if you are racing for fun you are wasting your crews time and your sponsers money! i ran about 100 nights in a asphalt sportsman, as driver car owner .and another 400 as a crew guy on a super late model team. here is what i learned. you cant build a car until you know what you need . find a nice used one to get started , former track champions cars are a good place to start, even better if they will help with set up questions during the season. you will face an almost vertical learning curve that can be expensive, find some one who can be a mentor to you, pay them if you have to. make it fun for your crew!watch what other drivers do. dont beleve every thing they say,say thanks just the same. there are lot of jerks at the tracks .once you get a reputation its almost impossable to change. avoid track politics! on asphalt driver skill will not make up for a bad chassis set up, if you are out to lunch you are going to the back. chassis set up and tire managment are most importent. the most importent of all!!!!!more important than engine power. safety equipment get the best there is. sooner or later you will crash,land on your head,or catch on fire. find an engine builder who will work with you. within the rules and has experiance with circle track racing. a good engine should run all season with regular mantance. treat all track officals with respect, even when they are wrong, this can have great benifits later on. racing wheel to wheel is a great thrill, its even better when you win. forget about the money that comes later. maybe. remember its all about the show for the fans. stickboy331

And THAT is what it's all about !! Great reply, Stick !!
Ya gotta sweep the floors before you can run the store.