406sbc motor: Block #3951511

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lsrholder
:idea: Zip, interesting opinion(s) on the 400 blocks. Many say don't even to bother building one, due to cap walk, then the real examples of how long they have lived get posted.

Do you "think" that your longevity results are due to the block filling, mostly, or just attention to detail in block preparation ? For those who have machining finished and are just about ready to assemble, block filling appears to be a no-no, due to cylinder warpage/movement, from the expansion of fillers used. Others say don't do it ! When engine warms up, block/cylinders must be able to expand equally & filler won't allow this to happen.

Then we have the choices between f&r cap straps vs. a complete girdle assy. Your posted site doesn't have any pics of the girdle(s) available. Would be nice to see one & be able to compare with other brands of girdles.

As always, thanks for any info you can supply, you haven't misled or let me down yet.
I don't know, i'll build one next week, or down the road. i'm not worried about them. i've built many of them and have not had problems, others have. I'm not saying that they are not a problem blk, i just have been lucky i guess, but i have always sonic tested the cylinder walls and moved the bore to to the most wall thinkness.

Zip.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

AND the winner is..... Zipper ! Attention to block preparation.

Build your skyscraper in da swamp, don't get p'od if she falls over.

Thank you Sir !
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

AND the winner is..... Zipper ! Attention to block preparation.

Build your skyscraper in da swamp, don't get p'od if she falls over.

Thank you Sir !
If you sink em deep enough, sooner or later you'll hit bedrock. At one time most of Manhatten, was a swamp. Seen it on the National Geographic channel.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:26 PM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

I just knew when I posted this i'd have a reply like yours

+2 for the bedrock man. I'll assume your contractor would be
Fred'a Flintstone.... correct. With help from good ol Barney, who did the drilling.

Not much of a view from the lower units, can't even bass fish offa the balcony :cry:

Would be one heck of a water/sewage system though. And everyone thought all we did was race & fix up them dang hot rods ! LMAO

Thanks, I needed this, twas a bad day indeed.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
:idea: Zip, interesting opinion(s) on the 400 blocks. Many say don't even to bother building one, due to cap walk, then the real examples of how long they have lived get posted.

Do you "think" that your longevity results are due to the block filling, mostly, or just attention to detail in block preparation ? For those who have machining finished and are just about ready to assemble, block filling appears to be a no-no, due to cylinder warpage/movement, from the expansion of fillers used. Others say don't do it ! When engine warms up, block/cylinders must be able to expand equally & filler won't allow this to happen.

Then we have the choices between f&r cap straps vs. a complete girdle assy. Your posted site doesn't have any pics of the girdle(s) available. Would be nice to see one & be able to compare with other brands of girdles.

As always, thanks for any info you can supply, you haven't misled or let me down yet.
I don't know, i'll build one next week, or down the road. i'm not worried about them. i've built many of them and have not had problems, others have. I'm not saying that they are not a problem blk, i just have been lucky i guess, but i have always sonic tested the cylinder walls and moved the bore to to the most wall thinkness.

Zip.
I don't know the answer to that, we rough bore the blks, then fill them, after the filler is cured then the honing plates go on and the bore is finished to size. I know of people running 900HP on stock blks with 18* heads and living thru it. I'm not worried about them, but if i had my rathers it would be a dart little M blk.

JMO

Zip.