best oil and weight

Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by hammertime
VR1 Valvoline racing oil 20/50 I am going to try the 10/30 this year also.
If I could get the Brand Penn easier then I can I'd try it also.
Man David,
Ain't that the truth, Brad Penn can be bought on Ebay for $45.00 a case but the shipping is $23.00, there's no place in La. that i can find that sells BP, so i' stuck useing other products.

Zip.
Its terrible I have a about 15 automotive stores 5 of which deal in high performance stuff and 1 can get it but they want my arm my leg and my nuts for it ! $59.00 a case and $15.00 for shipping. I just got the vr1 at a farm fleet for $2.99 a qt. I cant see switching just yet have had good luck with it. If I could get the Brand Penn for $45.00 a case and no shipping I'd be all over it but like you no one has it.. one place asked me who made it lol
Old 03-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
what is so special about the BP oil? I have heard/ read many people say it is the best.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 AM
bones427
APPRENTICE

thanks for the info, i'm going to run the brad penn 20/50 oil 4.00 a qt. here can get from my race gas guy no shipping charge and i'm going to run a hi vol. pump and .003 clearances rod and main. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
harley12110
APPRENTICE

sorry for the delay www.bgprod.com and put your zip in lots of dealers worldwide i am in upstate ny have over 50 racers here in my area using the bg oil and additive very high in zinc and phospurus
Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by hammertime
VR1 Valvoline racing oil 20/50 I am going to try the 10/30 this year also.
If I could get the Brand Penn easier then I can I'd try it also.
Man David,
Ain't that the truth, Brad Penn can be bought on Ebay for $45.00 a case but the shipping is $23.00, there's no place in La. that i can find that sells BP, so i' stuck useing other products.

Zip.

Hey Zip..i still got 15 or 16 Qts of AMSOIL 60 wt designed for alcohol blown motors...ran this in my small block blown car......sells for $8.00 per qt...but i will cut ya a killer deal if ya want it.....

some good research on this oil...reason i ran it.

pm me if ya interested

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Cogburn
APPRENTICE

I'm not real sure I'd call VR1... Racing Oil(it is street legal). The real Valvoline Racing oil says FOR RACING ONLY on the bottle.

BTW, I have had some roller cam guys come back with the lifter axles worn way before their time on the vr1 oil.

Brad Penn is made at the refinery that made the green Kendall. I haven't seen many bad lifters in engines that ran Kendall. At one point I actually thought roller lifters lasted pretty much forever.

The kid that does some cleanup around my shop hauled out a block tonight that I had sitting by my floor drain for 5 years. It got sprayed with water every time I washed the floor. This was a old block that raced alot with Kendall oil and it had not yet rusted after all this time. It was a little bit of an experiment to see how long it took to rust but I gave up it is out on the iron pile now. No rust on it.

5 years of being sprayed weekly with water and no rust. I wonder how long a block run on valvoline would last without rust? I'll have to put one over there and see...

Lifters last longer with good oil. Most of the rest of the engine will go a long time with oil that lifters don't like. :wink:
Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I put a couple hundred passes a year on my motors with vr1 as do a lot of fellow racers ... its good stuff !
Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Cogburn
APPRENTICE

These lifters failed at between 300-450 miles in a sprint car. That could be less than a season of racing in a sprint car. Your lifters will probably last 10+ years at 200 runs a year.

VR1 might be pretty good street oil but IMHO there are a number of oils that are better for racing(why do they make FOR RACING ONLY OIL?).

How much more a quart would you have to pay to replace an engine from lifter failure?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I surely dont have lifter issues but then again oil isnt the only thing that can cause the lifter issues. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree I put a lot of passes a year on my 1000hp bbc and am good with it, know several local sprint guys that use it also with good luck.
Like I said if I could I'd run Brand Penn .. but cant so the vr1 is what I will contiune to use without lifter issues