slowing a motor down!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Having a swingarm dragster with a 582 running low 7.60's I can tell you that pulling timing out is not going to help that much. We pulled our timing out one weekend to race with the NOS (only set up on a button for top end but needed to spray hard to get in a quick 16). We took timing from 34 to 28 degrees. It only lost about .07 in a 1/4 mile and 1 mph. Pulling any more than that is going to create a consistency problem as we tried that too pulling it down to 26 degrees. The combo did not like it.

One thing you can try is to throw a really, really loose converter in the car and shift it into high gear right off the hit. If you are shifting RPM set your launch to 3800 and shift it at 4600. The only downside to this, converter and trans temps will increase so if you are going rounds, it will be very important to monitor. If you are shifting on time, got for 0.10 out. This will allow you to break the beam and should not change your reaction times.

What I would recommend is on your long track, try getting the car stopped short but getting it stopped safely. This will help you when you get to the short tracks.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:46 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

I used restrictor plates to run index classes very succesful and I also got a machine shop 101 class from Zip building the plates, I didn't make a very good grade but they worked excellant and it was fun . Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

stick it in high gear .030 out 7.4's@177 to 8.10@175

Pulling timing can get hard on things if not done correctly *i've seen it first hand

Adjust the bolt under the pedal to stop it from going wide open is the next best options ...
Old 11-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

X2 on the threaded rod or bolt under the gas pedal. That is the best option in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Having a swingarm dragster with a 582 running low 7.60's I can tell you that pulling timing out is not going to help that much. We pulled our timing out one weekend to race with the NOS (only set up on a button for top end but needed to spray hard to get in a quick 16). We took timing from 34 to 28 degrees. It only lost about .07 in a 1/4 mile and 1 mph. Pulling any more than that is going to create a consistency problem as we tried that too pulling it down to 26 degrees. The combo did not like it.

One thing you can try is to throw a really, really loose converter in the car and shift it into high gear right off the hit. If you are shifting RPM set your launch to 3800 and shift it at 4600. The only downside to this, converter and trans temps will increase so if you are going rounds, it will be very important to monitor. If you are shifting on time, got for 0.10 out. This will allow you to break the beam and should not change your reaction times.

What I would recommend is on your long track, try getting the car stopped short but getting it stopped safely. This will help you when you get to the short tracks.
I got a 'really loose' converter I'd let go for around $900
Guaranteed 17% slippage.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Slowing down

Thanks for all the input ..

I think im going to just go to my long track and get a feel for the car. Lower the launch RPM .. and see if i can soften the throttle enhancer.
I made all my license passes no problem -so i should just go and mash the pedal.. and stop worrying about it.
After seeing a friend of mine who was experianced have a serious crash..(at over 200 mph) that had me a little freaked out. But time to shelf that ..in the spring i will just "let er-go" and hold on!!

Thanks
Keith
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Now your talking brother

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
Thanks for all the input ..

I think im going to just go to my long track and get a feel for the car. Lower the launch RPM .. and see if i can soften the throttle enhancer.
I made all my license passes no problem -so i should just go and mash the pedal.. and stop worrying about it.
After seeing a friend of mine who was experianced have a serious crash..(at over 200 mph) that had me a little freaked out. But time to shelf that ..in the spring i will just "let er-go" and hold on!!

Thanks
Keith
Your NEW attitude of driving your set up the way it is, is really the best solution that any serious racer could live with in my opinion. Have a safe 2010 season Keith!
Bruce
Old 11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Keith I understand your feelings here...Trust me i have them every time i get into the car..BUT...you cannot be soo freaked out that your over thinking your every move in the car or its just as bad as being wreckless.. Please have fear,respect...whatever you want to call it... it is a Good thing to have but keep it in Check.

Now One more thing from me to you...a Large percentage of accidents that happen on the dragstrip the car gave Tell Tell signs and the driver didn't pay attention to the warnings and drove in Over their heads... i understand there are times things break etc...but its a rare occasion compared to the accidents that happen where the Driver just didn't pay attention to the Signs the car was giving and drove in too deep...and most of these cases its nothing more then a split second decision..thats why it is so important to have seat time and develope a second nature feel in the car...over thinking may be too late

....Bottom line if it don't feel right LIFT..

Hawleys driving school teaches just this......YOU ARE IN CONTROL

Sorry this is A book.. In the past I have found myself dealing with the same emotions you are having ( its natural) so i am passing along what helped me keep my emotions in check and i hope it helps you out also.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

Just pull the shoot at 60' and that will slow you down :lol: :lol:
Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ARUSSELL
Just pull the shoot at 60' and that will slow you down :lol: :lol:
u mean like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpL2Y...eature=related

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -