New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Benningtonr
SHOW GUEST

Default New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

Just built a new PG, well the case is a used case. New everything. First time at the track with it was sat, pre-staged, waited, and then staged. Hit the trans-brake button, car lunges back about 2 inches, then grabs. Rev clutches are set at .060 as per Hipster instructions, band was adjusted 73 the back 3 1/2. I have always used AW32 in my trannies with great success. Fluid level was spot on, and again, brake and solenoid was new.

Any Ideas????
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: New powerglide W/ Alum Hipster pro brake ISSUE

Originally Posted by benningtonr
Just built a new PG, well the case is a used case. New everything. First time at the track with it was sat, pre-staged, waited, and then staged. Hit the trans-brake button, car lunges back about 2 inches, then grabs. Rev clutches are set at .060 as per Hipster instructions, band was adjusted 73 the back 3 1/2. I have always used AW32 in my trannies with great success. Fluid level was spot on, and again, brake and solenoid was new.

Any Ideas????
Common issue with new Hipster valve bodies, you need to put a pressure gauge on it and see what it is, should be around 200. If its not you either have a bad pump or valve body.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I run the AW32 also with good success. I think I would just tighten up the band about 1/2 a turn and see what happens. There is nothing majorly wrong with the trans. I agree that you adjusted the band properly that is the same specs I use (72 inch pounds 3.5 turns out). Maybe it was just a little twisted when it was adjusted who knows. Like I said I would just turn it in about 1/2 a round and try it see what happens.. If that does not fix it I know there is a valve in the valvebody that can stick it caused mine at one time to rev up between gears and then try to back up..too the valveout and cleaned then it was fixed..
Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

What is your high clutch pack clearance???
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Really sounds like a band issue to me. Since the band adjustment is correct, maybe a broken ring on the servo piston? Just a thought....