th400 question

Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
woodfamilyracing
APPRENTICE

Default th400 question

quick question for you guys,
i have a reverse pattern th 400 with a brake jw bell and so on. is it common for the trans to not down shift on a reverse pattern. i drive the car on the road and have to come to a stop go to first and then shift up again. if i am in 3rd gear cruising it will not kick down as i down shift til i slow way doen or stop. i imagine this is a safety issue but just wondering., othe rthan that trans works great thanks for any help in advance
Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I have a TH400 with a TCI reverse v-body,is your full manual?I think all t-brakes are ,but not sure??Mine,I had to take the brake band out of the tranny.I think it is a sorta safety feature for shutting down,not sure.But,mine has NO engine braking,except high gear.When you let off the gas it seams like it just free wheels.It's just where it returns to idle,instead of holding back.Maybe this is what you are feeling???
Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
woodfamilyracing
APPRENTICE

yup yup that is it , i appreciate it
Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah,takes some gettin' used to.Feels weird,don't it??? :?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
woodfamilyracing
APPRENTICE

yes it does never had a reverse pattern , i think they suck on the street you cant drop a gear if you need to. anyways thanks for the help and replies, have a great one