cryogenic treatment

Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Where is Leonard Texas?
I am in Plano close to Dallas.

Ed
Yep we are neighbors! Leonard is between Trenton and Celeste on Highway 69 about 30 minutes NE of McKinney.

I travel through Plano almost everyday.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Not far from Wylie either.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

blittle, where do you race at ?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

It helps. A friend of mine, was doing it for 5 years or so, and I had quite a bit done there for awhile. It seemed to make a diff. Thats about all I can say. It seemed to. Its hard to say. I know he did tons of barrells for a custom gun shop, that made competion target rifles, and, they swore the cryoed barrells, were more accurate, and more consistent, when they heated up after many rounds. I noticed improved bore and piston skirt life, or, less wear. Like virtualy none. Cranks seemed to be harder after. I know I had him do some boring bar cutters, and some carbide porting tools, and, those ones stayed sharper longer, no doubt about that. He did it correctly, I know, and that makes a difference. The hard part, is knowing if they really did it or not.

Frank
Advanced perofrmance
www.get-ap.com
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 AM
racear2865
APPRENTICE

I have been an Engineer for 38 plus years and have worked in numerous factions of industry as well as I own my own engine building shop. Cryogenics has been around a few years. It is not a heat treatment procedure. It is for relieving stress built into the product as it was made and as it is machined. We have used it for years in tooling to keep tooling from fracturing in a stress riser. Does it work. I consider Oliver rods one of if not the best rod on the market. They were the first that I can remember to go to this process. When I was a consultant engineer, we ran many test back to back on reduction of cost in tooling, and in every case, we saw a dramatic difference in using this process. I have had my rear gears and my tranny gears treated with this for years because of the impact in launching with good success. On any engine part that can have stress riser. I treat them. I TRY to lessen the risk of failure in any engine part so that my customers will return. Are they faster. Never looked at it but I do know that if stress risers are evident that parts will distort and cause HP loss before failure. You be the judge. It is not black magic. It is only a sign of todays technology creeping into our beloved sport. Your only decision is does the additional cost offset the gain.
sorry for offering my opinion. It is mine alone.
racear2865
Old 03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
CajunCryogenics
SHOW GUEST

Default Cryo processing

I know this post is pretty old but I thought I would comment any way. Cryogenic processing works, it does not fix everything but it will relieve residual stress, increase strength, improve wear resistance, and improve heat dissipation properties among a few other benefits. The question is, depending on your part and its composition, will you notice the difference. Most people want to see the change right now but when something extends the life of the part or makes it stronger you have to wait to see. There are people who use faulty practices and rush the cryo process and because of this do not have good results. I am processing some Saginaw 3 and 4 speeds for some dirt track racers with very good results. There have also been some processors who treat spark plugs and claim to gain 9-25 hp, I have yet to try this but will soon. Pricing is usually affordable and most processors will charge by the pound on a gradual scale. $5 per pound to $8 per pound aprox. It is important that cryo processors use computer controlled freezers, ascent and descent rates no faster than 2 degrees per minute, get to -300f or colder for 24 hours and for ferrous metals do a mild heat temper afterwards. There are many NASA studies available on the subject as well as major manufactures that use this process like Benelli, and John Deere. If you are interested try it out it won’t hurt and some guys will process a part for free so you can see for yourself. I hope this has helped answer some questions on cryo processing thanks.