1994 Grand Am running hot

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 1994 Grand Am running hot

Need some help on this one. I replaced a head gasket on a 94 Grand Am with a 2.3 Quad 4 in it. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. It now gets hot (240 degrees in climbs) 15 or 20 minutes after start up. Don't know if it was getting hot before I replaced the hed gasket because I did not drive it. I feel of the hose entering the radiator and no flow. I replace the thermostat with another new one and same thing. I am at wits ends with this thing. Does anyone have any suggestions. I will be going back down to Albany this weekend to work on it again. Thanks in advance for any help... :? :?

Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

I would say try it without the thermostat in. It could be the thermostat you got is bad.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
I would say try it without the thermostat in. It could be the thermostat you got is bad.
Thanks Dirka, I believe I might do that. I just don't see the likely chance of getting 2 bad thermostats though. I even took it back apart to ensure I put it in the right way and its child proof (only fits one way). While I have it back apart, I am going to make sure the waterpump is actually turning. I have been working on this car for about 6 months but I can't complain too much, it only cost me $350 and it looks pretty good.

Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Is it possible the bottom rad hose is soft and collapsing shut? See if it has wire retainer inside of it.

Also, after changing the pump and thermostat, did you "burp" the system, get all the air out of it...?
This is a common problem in circle track modifieds when radiator cap is lower than the thermostat housing... air trapped in the system blocking flow.

Jim
Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

hey chris, i have a 2000 grand am and problems never stop. looking
at your post and trying to come up with something, now just checking.
did you boil the thermostat and make sure it opened? if that is fine,
did you run the car w/o the stat to see if the pump was working, i
replaced a pump from autozone 3 times and ended up with one
from NAPA, learned my lesson. and if not, there must be something
blocking in the hose, i'd like to go help just to get the answer,
good luck bud, and post your findings :wink:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

its air locked, this engine is a bi**h to bleed. did you use a cooling system filler to fill the system? or (your not going to want to here this) did you check the head for warpage? if you didn't there is a very good chance that it is, its air locking on exaust getting into the system because head gasket did not seal. presure check it.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
Is it possible the bottom rad hose is soft and collapsing shut? See if it has wire retainer inside of it.

Also, after changing the pump and thermostat, did you "burp" the system, get all the air out of it...?
This is a common problem in circle track modifieds when radiator cap is lower than the thermostat housing... air trapped in the system blocking flow.

Jim
You might be onto something Jim. The hose is pretty soft, and the radiator is filled through the overflow tank on the side. I will buy some new radiator hoses. I filled the overflow tank up and let it run for a while and kept it filled up. Not sure how to get all the air out of these (with the overflow).
Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by signsbyesa
hey chris, i have a 2000 grand am and problems never stop. looking
at your post and trying to come up with something, now just checking.
did you boil the thermostat and make sure it opened? if that is fine,
did you run the car w/o the stat to see if the pump was working, i
replaced a pump from autozone 3 times and ended up with one
from NAPA, learned my lesson. and if not, there must be something
blocking in the hose, i'd like to go help just to get the answer,
good luck bud, and post your findings :wink:
I did not boil the thermostat, will try to run without the thermostat this weekend. I will post what I find this weekend. Thanks
Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
its air locked, this engine is a bi**h to bleed. did you use a cooling system filler to fill the system? or (your not going to want to here this) did you check the head for warpage? if you didn't there is a very good chance that it is, its air locking on exaust getting into the system because head gasket did not seal. presure check it.
I did not use the cooling system filler. I had the head checked when I had replaced the gasket. I will pressure check it though. I know the inlet radiator hose is not flowing any coolant/water through there, its really soft.
Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

to burp may wanna try the squeeze and release method with tank full squeese top hose and should send air to tank can get messy though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -