How many passes you get on your motor ?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 AM
MidLifeCrisis
APPRENTICE

Great post. The NEWBIE just learned allot.

Got me some tips on winterizing too. Thanks.

Scott
Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I check my valve springs often and replace as needed. I'll check bearings, compression, and leak down about mid season just to see how things are. Other than that, for me anyway, I leave it alone. At the end of the season, I'll check lobe lift on the cam just to see if there's anything there. It won't come apart unless something lets go at the track or the numbers start dropping off. Last engine I ran went a full season with several test and tunes with only a valvespring change.........My buddy is still running that engine today.............and that was about 6 years ago........even still runs the numbers it did when I had it, which really surprises me...........but hey, it works!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
etbird
MASTER BUILDER

440 sixpak motor, about 15 years worth. The last five was with up to 225 hit of n2o. Estimate maybe 500 passes. It still ran pretty good but power was down when I took it apart.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

How about in the offseason if your engine sits for 6 months like here in Canada. What do you do about your valve springs. Should they be all loosened off,take them right off or could you just rotate the engine every couple weeks or maybe once a month,or does it matter?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM
etbird
MASTER BUILDER

I think it matters. Had a 340 race engine that some springs went flat on cause it sat to long. Now I loosen all my rockers for extended periods of inactivty.