what to expect from an engine dyno?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Default what to expect from an engine dyno?

Hey, I just bought a new motor from RJ, it has all new components in it so I want to break it in and tune it before I put it in my car. This will be the first time for me going to an engine dyno, I am wondering what to expect for prices, what to ask for from them, what to bring along, anything else? Thanks

my new motor is a forged 418sbc with a 8000+rpm cam. and while your here, I have a nitrous setup already in the car from the prev. motor and will be shooting this engine with some nitrous also down the road. How much overall hp can I safely get out of a 509 block bored .020? 750hp? 800? 850? more? thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Getting ready to do the same, $500 per day is the local price here. I am planning to start the engine in my car (dragster) first to make sure all is well, I don't want to waste a trip. Bring any extra carbs you with to try as well as a jet selection, you will also have to supply your own fuel.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

thanks, the engine doesnt have a carb on it yet, all I have is a little 650 from my old motor. any recomendations on what size I should buy? its a circle track cam Herbert cc6c 4500-8500rpm .625 lift 275int/285ex @.050. 2.05/160 heads. I have a good free flowing exhaust. would a 900-950cfm 4150 carb be ok? or should I step up to a dominator?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Get them to pull it at a slow 600 rpm rate that gets some accuracy without really leaning too hard on the ngine like the 300 rpm rate does. The 1,000 rpm rate is for bragging horsepower and is too quick to tell anything with.

I suggest to let him know you want all full pulls to be at a water tem of above 120 and below 160degrees.

First just get it running and let him do his number with a few part load partial pulls on it. Usually I let on sit over night and come back, but I know you can't do that by the day.

What I try to accomplish on a dyno pull session is to set ignition timing a little below where I think it should be and make a pull.
Read the plugs, make whatever jetting changes you need to make to get good color in all plugs and even cylinder temps.

Once you get good plug colors with your pulls, then you can safely bump the ignition timing slightly. I suggest to not bump it more than 2 degrees at a time.
Pull. Read plugs,
Find the sweet spot on timing.
Find the sweet spot on tuning the carb.
You are done.

During the dyno pulls have several new oil filters so you can pull them and check them and replace them. Have fresh oil and plenty of fuel.

Ed
Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Be VERRRRY careful spraying a factory block. Hope you have splayed caps. 600 to 700 range NA is the most you want to try with a factory block. Be very conservative with timing in nitrous. 9375 Dominator works great out of the box with the correct jets.