Sitting Low

Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Sitting Low

Hey guys!
I am working on a 67 Camaro and the car is sitting about 1 and 1/2 inches lower on the drivers side than the passenger side.

I replaced the front coil springs, all 4 shocks, and I even took the leaf springs out and swapped sides. When I let the car down from the jack stands, it still sat lower on the drivers side than the passenger side.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this???
Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Sounds like you have tried everything but I would check the bind in the shackle bushings. Did you install urethyene bushings in the bottom of the shackle? Sometimes the urethyne bushings get in a bind so you have to loosen the bolt and then make sure you put lock tight on the nut so it won't back off. Also you may know this but make sure your shackle bolts are loose when you let the car down off the jack stands then tighten the shackle bolts. If that's all OK then it must be a lazy spring in the front or rear. Jack up the front of the car and see if it still leans. If it does I'd say it's a lazy leaf spring. I assume you have stock suspension? Could be your shackle bolts are too tight.

I had the same problem on my 67 it was a lazy rear leaf spring. I had to change it out 4 times before I got a good spring. Sounds funny but it's true.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

After the spring changes you have made check for a sticking control arm or bushings. After that measure out the upper front spring pockets.

If the car has ever had a traumatic moment their may be one twisted (top in)
This is hard for a frame man to catch and is very common. As little as a 1/4 inch there will add up to a couple inches in ride height. This is real common in full frame trucks. On the subframe you have in the 67 it will twist the whole pocket and frame rail. They some times over look it and just add shims to get an alignment. So look for a lot of or lack of shims first. To accurately measure this you need a lazer frame measuring device or get tricky with a bubble protractor and compare sides.

Oh one other thing. Check to see if front sub frame is level to main chassis on both sides.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Bubstr-
There are quite a few shims on the drivers side control arm assembly and NO shims on the passenger side! It appears that you may be onto something here.

I am pretty certain that the leaf springs are ok because it leans exactly the same amount as it did before I swapped them over.
Thanks for the inputs and please keep the advice coming!!!! Lord knows I can use all of the help I can get.
Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

That's a start. You probably have a steering wheel that isn't centered too as the steering sector is right there in front of it on drivers side. They can move the wheel to center it but count the revolutions to the lock on each side. A half turn difference is pretty bad an 1/8 you could live with.

You could get tricky and measure this out yourself but I don't envy you trying to get that twist out with out a good frame machine. They are very hard to get that Isolated and get the twist out, because it also moves the cross member where the lower control arms connect, this is the reason there are no shims on the other side. It's hard to find a good frame man. A lot of places have fancy machines, but all they do is measure, the frame man gets them straight. Try someone that specializes in frame work for other shops. They are usually a better bet. Then they may tell you what I would.

If you could find a good front sub frame in the bone yard, it might be a good buy, if you want it perfect. If your not far off stick a couple spring rubbers in the left front, and save up for an after market front stub. If your racing it, you could stand to put that Camero front end on a diet anyways.