Okay now ! Let's play 'Read them bearings !'

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Bullet is back in the chamber, just awaiting the arrival of my new Flow Kooler water pump to finish buttoning it all up.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

All in all not bad, don't know how many hrs. on the engine but you definately have 2 problems. (1) junk in the oil, could have been filter, (2) there is some heat issues, you can see where the material was moving around on the bearings, might could use more clearance or line bore.
Again all in all you that look good for the time on them.

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I really appreciate everyone's input ! I got it fired up today and will run it out this summer and if I don't blow it up, will do a complete teardown next winter. I have had cooling issues from day one, and am hoping the Flow Kooler pump will help.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

hell after 6 seasons i tghink those bearings look pretty good. kinda siding with my buddy on this (zip) but all in all i wish my looked half as good after one or 2 summers....
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzkq...ature=youtu.be

:shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

About two weeks ago, I was watching the Colorado Hill Climb Association running on a track here locally, and after watching one session, I'd have to say you need three more oil filters, a stack of air filters and change the oil after each run to keep the adobe out of yer engine . .

Those Bearings are looking pretty good for a car exposed to that kind of environment for any length of time!

Back in the mid '70s a buddy of mine and I had a Volks single seater with a 2180 in it, and while most of the tracks were no where as dirty as the one I was at the other day, we changed oil and filters after every race. Not "Event" but every race, and still had some pretty worn and pitted bearings on a teardown. And with Volkswagens, you took 'em apart pretty frequently. If you didn't then they'd do it on their own, often without warning.

If you got it to live that long, keep doing what you're doing . .
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

RK, I run PAVEMENT hill climbs. Back in my VeeWee days I also experienced self destructing flat 4's ! Did a lot of logging road trippin', sand dunin', and street racin' . Even my type 2's would do 125 or better on the freeways. I've built VW's in almost every configuration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afu_t...f5jiWTL2-L2Eyd