whats the best motor combo to run 10.50

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default that's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

yeah , that's funny.......30 HP from a timing swap :roll:

love to see it on a dyno......better yet.....on the track with a timeslip :wink:
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

30 hp can be found pretty easy on very weak built ( stock type) engines...Not out of the Question for sure....not saying the 4/7 swap cam will gain this kind of HP on any engine but not saying it won't either...the Higher the performance engine the less chance you gonna see these kind of HP number gains .

for that mater you can take 2 engines use the same Identical parts, same Builder using the same tolerances and One will make more HP then the other...there are many Theories and explanations but No-one really knows for sure.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Juice,
I tend to believe the intake has a huge influence over whether or not the 4-7 swap is successful or not, and the head flow to a lesser degree. Flow harmonics, a little over my head though. If you have a well thought out induction system 30hp is hard to come by.

Curtis
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I have the 4/7,2/3 swap cam it makes the firing order simple
crower recomened it for my motor, when they ground a cam for me and it was the same price as the 4/7
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Juice,
I tend to believe the intake has a huge influence over whether or not the 4-7 swap is successful or not, and the head flow to a lesser degree. Flow harmonics, a little over my head though. If you have a well thought out induction system 30hp is hard to come by.

Curtis
I hear what ya saying curt. I am not taking a position for or against that a 4-7 swap camshaft could make this kind of HP difference alone..I just don't Know...but what I do know like I said in my last post is a weak Built ( Bone stock type crate) engines have huge HP gains for minimal changes...so what I was trying to highlight is the difference in high Performance engines finding Hp VS. a Crate type engine...I think they said they used a crate engine in HP tv..

Now I will tell what I saw with my own Eyes...a carb and header switch,a minor angle mill on the heads bringing compression up 2 pts.. gained 83 hp on Dyno...this was on a GM CRATE engine used for Late Model round track racing.. (602 I think) they even had scored some of the extra tear off bolts to replace the parts......I watched this with my own Eyes at Clements racing in Spartanburg S.C. home of the LATE MODEL round track engine.
I have seen a 30 hp Gain also in Fuel Only ( Round track engines ) VP C-44 The Cost was $2500 per 55 gallon Drum 7 yrs ago !!!!! :roll:

Heres a little discussion off YB to where it mentions c-44 and few other fuels such as Q-16....Back when I owned my own race fuel Business C-44 was king of Circle track Fuel it retailed for $50.00 a gallon back then..
A huge help was the fuel is only 99 octane which the lower octane alone makes more HP on lower compression engines..Many in the past didn't or still don't know today.... they just started coming out with all the exotic oxygenated fuels back then...Now the market is Flooded with oxygenated fuels

by the way Curt How is your Son doing ?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Thank you for asking, he is well. He leaves the F.O.B. in 13 days headed home. I am more worried now than I ever have been, thoughts of something happening so close to getting him home keep creeping in. He has short timers bad. lol

We have a 23° 408 that made 702hp on the dyno. Old set of worked -10 heads. I suspect that if a 4-7 swap would net us 30hp on this motor we would probably spring for it. I really don't think it is there to be had that easy though. You are right on a motor that has a better potential of gain the increases you can see are greater.

Curtis
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Thank you for asking, he is well. He leaves the F.O.B. in 13 days headed home. I am more worried now than I ever have been, thoughts of something happening so close to getting him home keep creeping in. He has short timers bad. lol

We have a 23° 408 that made 702hp on the dyno. Old set of worked -10 heads. I suspect that if a 4-7 swap would net us 30hp on this motor we would probably spring for it. I really don't think it is there to be had that easy though. You are right on a motor that has a better potential of gain the increases you can see are greater.

Curtis

prayer said for him Curtis

Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

[/quote]
i think the 4/7 swap has something to do with helping harmonic vibration[/quote]

That is why my swap cam is in my motor !!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
those tv guy's want to be engine guru's, it's like the wwf kinda fun to watch but almost impossible to believe.
wish i said that! so true :lol: :lol: :lol: