Vacuum pump

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
degnitz_3732
APPRENTICE

What kind of pump are you putting on? I am going to be purchasing a pump in the next few weeks...does anyone recomend one over the other. Currently i'm leaning towards the Aerospace Kit. Also, when I start the motor for the first time this spring....what should the Vaccuum gauge read??? I've been told many different things....i'd like to set it at idle and then watch it downtrack obviously. Where do you start? Any help appreciated.

Derek
Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default vacuum pump

I purchased that Aerospace kit a few years ago. The salesman was very helpful and a made suggestions as to what front and rear seal to run and how to make sure engine was sealed good to get max vacuum. Kit looked nice and fit nice. But it would not produce near enough vaccum. About 3" at idle and 6" at RPM. I tried to work with them and they suggested I adjust the end play and reshim and so on, but never made it any better. They never offered to let me return it and just kinda said "Oh Well". I have not bought anything from them since.

Moroso Vacuum pumps would be my choice.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Vacuum Pumps

Star and Moroso are the tops, I've had both and run a Moroso with great luck. Aerospace has had many issues with keeping up and the mandrel is 1.5" unlike everything else which is 1" diameter.

I go for 5 at idle and 10 down track.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by degnitz_3732
What kind of pump are you putting on? I am going to be purchasing a pump in the next few weeks...does anyone recomend one over the other. Currently i'm leaning towards the Aerospace Kit. Also, when I start the motor for the first time this spring....what should the Vaccuum gauge read??? I've been told many different things....i'd like to set it at idle and then watch it downtrack obviously. Where do you start? Any help appreciated.

Derek
Derek,
I put on a Moroso #22642. I looked at the Aeorspace kit, but feedback from racers around my area was that it was weak.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=17200
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
al34
JOURNEYMAN

[quote="hammertime"]
Originally Posted by al34
you will also need a relief valve on the valve cover if you are not using one on the suck fitting
thats not 100% true. You may or may not. depending on the pump, pulley sizes you run.

every set up i have seen has a devise to relieve vacume at a desired point so there may be a few set ups without a vacume relief devise but most are using it
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I use a Moroso on my 632. Its tapped into the end of the valve cover so theres no rocker contact issues.