Help with whats wrong with engine.....

Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Also what the tips of the plugs look like. Are they bent, broken, things like that.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Its ok. I watched the video again for the 3rd time and I watched it really close and what i said bout the rocker arm jumping i was wrong.

With that said. If you follow the spark plug wires back to the distributor cap there should be an extra wire on there. Pull off the extra wire. That wire goes to your coil. It wont fire off with the wire pulled.

How tight were the rods to the crank. Was there any play at all between the rod and crank?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
thor1701
APPRENTICE

the number 1 piston has some slight up and down play, very slight, and i think the rd one has alittle side to side, like i said very slight, it didnt look like the bearings were gone or anything like that, and with the coil, little more difficult, as its a pack and not a cap, and getting back there is near impossable, i made the mistake of pulling off all the spark plug wires at one time, it was NOT fun
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

I believe you might have just solved it. I believe that there is supposed to be no play in the rod to crank connection. Just the slightest can ruin a motor. Now this is just my opinion i say we see what the others think.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
thor1701
APPRENTICE

well thats what i very first thought, but it wouldnt explain the intermittent noise plus the noise comes from the top of the engine
i would have replaced the rod bearings when i had the oil pan down, but i couldnt for the life of me figure out what kind of nut was on the damn rods, i mean it was weird looking, almost looked like a gear, so i couldnt figure out how to take them off for shit
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

See with that play in the rod it could be slapping the the bottom of the head,valves making the noise on the top end of the motor.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

like said before, when the rod is loose, that means excessive clearance, so there is no oil pressure on that journal anymore, so then the cam and lifter are not getting oil up top of that rod either... which makes all the knock,knock and rattle your hearing
Old 08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

DEAD DUCK :!: :!: :cry: :cry:
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
thor1701
APPRENTICE

i just cant imagine if its the rod bearings it would make that crazy intermittent banging, i mean sometimes it goes completly away for a few seconds
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

yes the oil pressure goes away... and the hydaulic lifter collapses making the rocker and valve rattle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -