drum of alky

Old 01-03-2008, 02:37 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

Default drum of alky

my car is set up for alcohol now, and its time to buy a drum, need advice on brands, additves,(what to use and what NOT to use) havent started car on alky yet, waiting till I have enough, cant wait! one other thing, spark plugs, use same as gas or ???
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

we buy our fuel from Univar...chemical company
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

If you're bracket racing and they don't check fuel gravity, go with Methanol from an chemical wholesaler.

It'll be about 1/2 the cost per gallon as racing methanol.

The only thing you have to keep watch for is the purity and how long it's sat in storage.

If the company has a high turnover of methanol, you're in good shape. If not, you'll want to buy an alky hydrometer and do your own testing.

Make sure, no matter who you get your alky from, to filter it before it goes into the tank, and filter it again after it comes out of the pump.

The other thing you'll need to get (available from any hi performance shop) is some top end lube for the drum of fuel. Industrial grade methanol has no lubricants in it for the valves (Race grade already has this added).

Do yourself a favor and avoid the scented top end lube until you get used to the alky. The scented lubes take the sting out of the alky and you wind up getting more in your eyes and lungs than you want and pay for it later that night as you lay in bed coughing that shit up.

Make sure to drain your fuel system and lube the pump/barrel valve between race weekends...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: drum of alky

Originally Posted by wfge
my car is set up for alcohol now, and its time to buy a drum, need advice on brands, additves,(what to use and what NOT to use) havent started car on alky yet, waiting till I have enough, cant wait! one other thing, spark plugs, use same as gas or ???
I run Torco only, have had great luck with it and havent seen such good luck with VP. I do not run a top lube of any kind, I used to but once in awhile it gums up jets/nozzels. I've had long discussions about this with several carb and injection people/compaines and most say the same.
You will need to change plugs, I run a autolite 3910 is both small block and big block and have had good luck. Knock the timing down some also.
I race a lot of laps a year and do no more maitenace on alky then I do gas. At the end of the day I pull the car in the trailer and do not drain no fuel dont put anything in the carb or due anything different. Ihave done this for years and never had 1 issue yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

On a SC and TD program we do not run a lube.
We do drain the fuel out at the end of the weekend..
Lube pump,barrel valve cylinders and blow the fuel out of the lines and then shoot some lube down the lines and blow some air through them. takes an extra 15-20 minutes at the end of the weekend.
Never had any problems..

On the SST car I buy a drum of fuel and the first thing I do is add a bottle of Klotz top end lube and roll the barrel around the shop to mix it well..

Drain the fuel out of the cell
blow the fuel out of the lines barrel valve and pump
shoot a little lube into the pump and barrel valve just to make sure

takes 15-20 minutes
Never had a problem

The only thing I have noticed between the 2 programs, is that the SST car running the Klotz turns everything it touches a light pink
Old 01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

thanks for all your responces, it really helps alot
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

look at the new M3 and M5 VP Methanol..have found more hp..upward 5 to 8 % on dyno with less fuel consumption...

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index2.html

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

I run Power Mist holeshot methanol. Excellent product!!! Gained roughly 20hp just going from commercial grade methanol to the power mist.
http://www.powermist.com/methanols.html