Yet another head question

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
StrokedBBC
APPRENTICE

Nice car. I love them old school, straight axle, gasser cars. I hope you get that tunnel ram to work that car wouldn't look right with a single carb.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:21 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

I really like the look of your car. I hope you can get the tunnel ram to work
Tom
Old 11-23-2007, 01:58 PM
rabbit
JOURNEYMAN

Charles thanks for all the advice. I am going to increase the compression about 1-1.5 points but I don't want it to have to run fuel all the time as this is driven on the street alot and I don't just mean a couple miles at a time I have made a few trips that were in excess of 200-300 miles in one day. With the small increase in comp I hope I see a substantial difference in the power without hurting drivability. I know this is a very hard thing to do(deing fast and dependable espesiall with old stuff) but I will sacrifice the performance before the streetability. But I am gonna keep chugging away at it until I go too far and then I will back up just a little bit. When I get it I will let everyone know what combination I find that works. Thanks for the compliments on the car and all the pointers from everyone.

Scott
Old 11-23-2007, 02:05 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Scott.

My 65 runs 10.5:1 on 93 octane.
I run a lot on the street as well as the strip.

If you can get over 10:1 and make a cam change I think you can get into the 7's.

I hope there are no hard feelings about losing the tunnel ram.

It does fit the nostalgia feel of your Nova.
And your Nova does look bad.

Good luck and I hope you get it ther...keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Probably not what you want to hear but..if you insist on using the tunnel ram find a good 400 short block it will help the low end a ton.If you can find some old double hump heads in good shape fairly cheap they would work well.They have 64 cc chambers and some had the 2.02 valves. I WOULD not spend much money on them as there are far better after market heads out there for the money it will take to go through a set of dh..but sometimes you can find used ones pretty cheap. Definately get a 400 short block if your gona use a tunnel ram. just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

I think instead of the old fuelie heads, get a set of world products heads, the torquer heads, small comb. chambers,like 58cc 62,3 cc, gets compression up, add extensions on the headers collecters, to build torque and Im not sure about that cam, I have other ideas for that but,I know some of this has been said already but we all mean well and I think we tell it well!!!! I know you can still have fun with this combo, David.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Racefab57
I think instead of the old fuelie heads, get a set of world products heads, the torquer heads, small comb. chambers,like 58cc 62,3 cc, gets compression up, add extensions on the headers collecters, to build torque and Im not sure about that cam, I have other ideas for that but,I know some of this has been said already but we all mean well and I think we tell it well!!!! I know you can still have fun with this combo, David.
even better. That's why I said I wouldn't spend any kind of money on em...not worth it...but plenty of em around.(sorta)
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 AM
rabbit
JOURNEYMAN

Hey guys I am not gonna get mad at anyone for saying what they think would work. I asked you what would work and believe me I know that the tunnel ram is hurting it. I have a set of darts on the way today but I think they are too big for my combination. But you know how traders do things (pass from one thing to the next until you get what you are looking for). Anyway the ones I am picking up today are Darts with 64CC cumbustion chambers, 210cc intake runners, 2.05 intake valves, 1.65 ex valves and some port work and cut surfaces which I think will take the chambers down around 58-60cc. I am thinking that this is too much and will only hurt the low end performance. I am thinking I need more along the lines of smaller intake runner (around 180-190 cc) and no bigger than 2.02/1.6 valves. Does this seem right?

Ok what cam are you guys thinking would work for what I am doing here. If nothing else works out the 400 is last resort but we do have a couple sitting in my dad's garage if it comes down to it. :wink:
Thank you all again, Scott
Old 11-24-2007, 08:10 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

I will trade you some nice vortec heads for the darts
Old 11-24-2007, 03:20 PM
rabbit
JOURNEYMAN

Well I didn't get the heads today I was told that they were complete but they weren't so I said no to the trade. I have a set of vortecs but I do not trust them so I will not run them. So I guess I am back on the hunt again.
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -