What is the best way to distribute power?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default What is the best way to distribute power?

I'm working on the custom wiring for my 1991 s10. Battery is in the bed, will have master disconnect back there too. From the disconnect what's the best way to get power to everything? I've got a couple ideas but not sure what's the best way. Run a wire from disconect to starter then off starter to everything else? Run a wire from disconnect to a terminal stud then run wire from stud to starter and wire from stud to fuse block? Or run multiple wires from the disconnect to each place? These are the thoughts and ways I know of and have seen, may be other ways, just want to hear how everyone thinks this should be done.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Here is just my opinion of the cars that I have wired. Do not pull power from your starter. I run a minimum 4ga wire from the output side of my main cut off switch to a terminal block. There are blocks you can get from marine sources that have a large stud for the 4ga wire, then have smaller screws to send power out to wherever you would like. I use relays on everything, but definitely on large load items, so power can be pulled from the large + terminal block to them.

I also run a large ground terminal block with just as large ground wire coming from the battery to the block. To many people run large + wire but then use the chassis as their only grounding source. This can cause unseen problems such as water pump running slower than it otherwise could, etc....

If you use a one wire alternator get the main power switch that has the separate terminals for your alternator wire, that way it won't back feed and not let your engine shut down when the power switch is turned off.

There are really nice wiring kits that you can buy such as from K&R, but with a little thought and time a guy can do a really nice job himself.

Curtis
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

It helps bigtime to make a drawing/plan of your car and wiring before actually cutting. It'll save time AND wire !
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

whats the best way to distribute power? hell man ask obama. he will show you how to distribute power and your money...lol just kidding. listen to doorracer hes on it with this!and dd is right also. plan way ahead or your gonna loose time and money. want to know how i know hes right...lol
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yeah right now I'm like 3/4 done planning the wiring, started at all the things needing power and working my back to the battery. I have no problems doing wiring, do it all the time, this is the first time I'm completely doing an entire vehicle from scratch so I'm just trying to find what's best for a few things. As for the grounds, I had planned on running all grounds to a few common points throughout the truck, could I do that?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

common grounds, yes you can. well atleast thats the way ive always done it .seems to work just fine...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

A few ways to distribute power, most do it with a through firewall connector, I've used stud style 3/8 dist block too. Run 4 ha wire from either direct to disconnect switch and you'll be fine. As far as grounds, remember each main ground point needs to run direct to battery.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM
indcontrols
APPRENTICE

Ditto on the 4ga wire going forward for both power and ground. I usually use a marine 60 or 70A circuit breaker back near the switch to protect you from the energy coming forward (should there be an unfortunate impact).
One of the cars I built for a friend actually got met a tree while he was "testing" on the street... long story... but the car was destroyed and the circuit breaker tripped. While dissecting what was left, we found that part of the broken motor plate pinched the positive 4ga going forward...
Old 08-05-2023, 07:52 AM
annamarks
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I run a large ground terminal block with just as large ground wire coming from the battery to the block. To many people run large + wire but then use the chassis as their only grounding source. This can cause unseen problems such as water pump running slower than it otherwise could, etc....

Last edited by annamarks; 08-05-2023 at 08:26 AM.