injection pumps

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Default injection pumps

Zip and others;
I have a hilborn injected chevy v6 and i can't get a good tune on it. It runs ok no missing or backfiring, best i've gone is 7.34 on the 1/8th.
After going through the system i found the pump is to large it's a 80A, was told it was a 1/2 pump when system was bought.
What size would you recommend.
Will a DSR/Waterman work aswell or should i stick with a hilborn/enderle.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: injection pumps

Originally Posted by qiksix
Zip and others;
I have a hilborn injected chevy v6 and i can't get a good tune on it. It runs ok no missing or backfiring, best i've gone is 7.34 on the 1/8th.
After going through the system i found the pump is to large it's a 80A, was told it was a 1/2 pump when system was bought.
SWEEEEEET---PICS PLEASE :lol: :lol:
AND WHAT IS IT IN ?? MORE INFO 8) 8)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: injection pumps

Zip and others;
A Brand is just that,a Brand!

A 80A could be anything from about 3.8 to around 5 gal.?Does it have any Other mark after the 80A?
That Pump is about as SMALL as it Gets!

A ZERO is What you Need!
But,with a Larger Pump?You just RETURN More than you Consume!

Hope that HELPS!

Later
G 8)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

It turned out the pump is a 80A-1, i get to return more, but i feel it's losing to much pressure aswell and maybe contributing to bad throttle responce and a rich idle smell, even with shutoff pulled more than 1/2 way. I've even leak tested the high speed to a safe 70psi and i don't think it's opening yet, relatively new engine and rpm's are only 6500 so far.
Have seen guy's run 80A-1 on 8 cyl. but i think my v6 is too small to pull the pump back or i'm doing something wrong.
I was thinking the 0 pump also or one similar size.

Hey lively i'll try and upload some pics, it's in a aussie torana.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

i do like hilborn injectors --it is just different 8)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Need more imformation, Alcohol, gas, nozzle size, inlet line size to pump, weight of car,i can tell you that i'm a DSR person, i've known Daryl for 12/13 yrs since he lived in memphis, but also have Enderle pumps in the larger size for the blower motor and big blk injected. I think a DSR "0" pump would be my choice. I like the DSR because it has a manifold with 3 outlets on it. leak down setting also makes a lot of difference in throttle response especially in the first 60'.
Also i donot like the loop line setup in case you're running one, also the -1 is way too big, that's more like a big blk pump.
You have to buy a new pump, call DSR/Daryl and ask him what size he would recommend, he can also rebuild/change your pump to the necessary size for a couple hundred dollars. The DSR and Enderle pump are all the same size in the 80a and DSR. They just change the gears out to shorter or longer to increase the size and use hardened steel shims to make up the difference. Tell Daryl that John Allen from La. sent you, but then again he might charge you double :lol:
Zip.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Hey Zip you helped me out a while back when i first got it going.
Here goes, i haven't leak tested anything for while so they might not be exact;
alcohol fuel, kinsler p510(12) nozzles, barrel valve 25%?, secondary 8psi ?, highspeed 70psi, -10 inlet and -6 everywhere else, -6 breather.
Haven't actually weighed the car but i think it's around 2600lbs near street trim.
I've had to find a happy medium with the b/v, too rich it seems to slow and too lean it squeaks through the stacks, that was an interesting diagnosis thought it was in the engine. Took your advice on the theory of footbrake racing.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't remember how big the injectors are, but i'm thinking you said 2 3/8 or 2 7/16" stacks. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the nozzles are also too small, if that's a V6 90* around or over 300"s I would definately have min. #16 nozzles, but would prefer #18's on that size bore. I also think that you have a problem with the pump, if it's not blowing by the HS set at 70lbs by the time you hit 5500/6000 rpm's it sounds weak. On the nozzles #12's are the high end for gas and the very lowest end for alcohol. We run 18's on any bore over 4" in a sm/blk and 16's on the 305 sprinter engines with 2 3/16" stacks. The barrel valve is real close @25%. A weak pump could also explain why it seems so rich on the bottom end and why it won't rpm on high end.
A car with that weight could easley run mid to low 6's in the 1/8 mi. with 1.30's 60' times.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Stacks are 2 3/16, 4.04 bore 268ci. I did ask Don at hilborn about nozzle size and said #12's, the more i look at other sbc injectors the more i think your right with 16-18s on that size bore, unless Don was thinking 12s cause of the smaller injector size. It's basicly a sbc less 2 cyls. brodix -11 heads comp cam [email protected] .650 [email protected] .632 106l/s. I''m only turning it to 6500 at the moment cause of the std cast crank, can't justify 3k for billet at this stage. I'll start with the pump and i might look at trying a set of nozzles.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default /

Stacks are 2 3/16, 4.04 bore 268ci. I did ask Don at hilborn about nozzle size and said #12's, the more i look at other sbc injectors the more i think your right with 16-18s on that size bore, unless Don was thinking 12s cause of the smaller injector size. It's basicly a sbc less 2 cyls. brodix -11 heads comp cam [email protected] .650 [email protected] .632 106l/s. I''m only turning it to 6500 at the moment cause of the std cast crank, can't justify 3k for billet at this stage. I'll start with the pump and i might look at trying a set of nozzles.
I BET hes got the INFO Wrong!!!
#12's for GASOLINE,....I come up with #18 for methenol!!!

Later
G 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -