TransBrake Problem Need Help

Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

well I changed the Solenoid and the switch and @ 4000 rpm It came out great twice. then it would stick a little. so now I'm going to change the return spring I think it may be getting weak when it heats up. I'll keep yall posted.
Thanks Andy Byrd
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58 PM
onedragracer
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by andybyrd
well I changed the Solenoid and the switch and @ 4000 rpm It came out great twice. then it would stick a little. so now I'm going to change the return spring I think it may be getting weak when it heats up. I'll keep yall posted.
Thanks Andy Byrd
Andy, if you are running a protree brake, they do not have a return spring behind the solenoid plunger valve, If one is in there take it out, that is your problem.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

wow now I'm lost. how can you tell if it's a pro tree and what is the Difference Please. this one has a about a 1/2 spring that goes around the valve. and I thought that was what pushed the valve back out when you released the button. But I know nothing about these things but am trying to learn.
How can I tell what Kind of Brake it is, you do have to use the button for reverse.
Thanks Andy
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

If you have to push the buttom for reverse, it's a pro brake. I've seen some that used a spring, and some that don't. I did a tranny for a friend this winter and it a pro brake with a spring. I think it was an ATI brake. Fluid pressure moves the valve if there's no spring. I really don't think the spring would hurt anything regardless as long as it doesn't bind up the valve..........
Johnny
Old 07-08-2009, 07:20 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

ok so I could have a pressure problem, if it has the spring is that what's moving the valve when I release the button. if the pressure was low would it effect the rest of the tranny, because the tranny on the foot break is perfect.. Thanks for all yalls replys
Andy Byrd
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Andy make sure the plunger is in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks Mr. Parker I'm sure that's right, well I put it back in the way it came out anyway. but yea from looking at pictures of others I think its right. I did not know that fluid preasure was what released the valve. I thought it was the spring. if fluid was what released the valve then on mine when you are just testing the solenoid and you hit the button it would not release if the car is not running without the spring. so I'm gonna buy a new spring and try that first. but The trans does have some runs on it so I'm sure it needs to be gone through. and this will be my first Trans job but I believe I'm gonna do this one myself and see if I'm as smart as I think I am. if you guys have any Advise I would sure listen to everyone on this.
THANKS Andy
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Glides are super simple. I'm sure you can do it! My advice, get a book. JW has a nice one on how to build a race glide. I still use mine. It looks like crap, but has a bunch of useful info and step by step instructions.......

On another note, when it hangs up, is it still on the 2-step or does it go up on the converter and not move? Sorry, I'm still stuck on the electrical side of this deal......I know, it's annoying, but when I get something stuck in my head, sometimes you have to whack me with a stick to get it out..........
Johnny
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

that's ok Jonnny, I'm like that myself. I get into something and its hard to get away untill I figure it out. I just don't want to beat yall to death with this thing. ok to answer the question. the first run after I replaced all the wires ,the switch the solenoid and the screen and fluid. It was perfect, it realeased like it should. one hour latter 2nd run. I went up on the 2 step to my 4000 rpm chip it sat @ 4000 untill it released about 1/2 second after I released the button. then it stood up and ran great. Hey I'm open for any and all help. the only thing I did'nt do was replace the return spring. and now it has me thinking that when the spring gets hot it gets weak. but now I'm learning that some pro brakes have a spring and some don't, mine does. my lack of expierence on this has me wandering if you had a brake without the spring you could not check to see if it was comming out with out the motor running if it was working off pressure because youd have no pressure, [yes or no] I'm just trying to learn here. and thanks to all you guys I have been getting better. yall have got me from 6.20 in the 1/8 to 6.10 in one week I can't wait to get to the 5.80 class, because 6.10 aint making me shake at the end of the track no more,
Thanks Andy
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

You are correct about the no-spring brakes. In fact, the car has to be running and in low or reverse for the valve to move back out.

It should have come up on the converter when you released the button, regardless of whether or not the brake released. I think you said it came up to 5000+ with no chip in the 2-step. As depressing as it sounds, I still think you have an electrical problem instead of a tranny problem. Have you traced the tranny brake wire all the way to it's power source? Since the car had a delay box in it at one time, there may be something else in the circuit......you should have power coming to the button, and wire from button to trans. The 2-step should be spliced into the wire going to the trans. That's it, nothing else should be hooked to it......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -