rear suspension and anti-roll bar ?????

Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 PM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

Default rear suspension and anti-roll bar ?????

the car is a 2x3 chassis car with ladders bars and double adjustable afcos with a track locater. first question getting the car ready for this year and i noticed the shocks are leaning 5-6 degrees towards the pass. side. both are leaning the same tops toward pass. bottoms towards driver. also just getting ready to install a anti-roll bar. whats the best way way to get a base set-up. with the turn buckle arms down to the houseing. no load or some preload. thanks mike from wisconsin i have photos but dont know how to load them
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Sounds like the rear end is off center. Check your track locator. I'd guess its loose or bent, pulling the rear to one side.
Seems I read somewhere that an antiroll bar was unnecessary with ladder bars. I could be mistaken. At any rate, never preload with the antiroll bar. Set any preload with the ladder bars then set antiroll bar neutral/no preload....
Johnny
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Hey Mike,
Double check the square on the rear houseing. I measure from the rear lower arms to the center at the front of the car and measure side to side from the axle flanges to the frame. All measurements are to be done with the axle at ride height. I removed the shocks/springs and took a pice of flat stock drilled and installed in place of the shocks. After everything is square, put in your preload and then adjust the anti roll to a neutral setting. Reinstall the shocks and you should be all set.
If you have any questions, dont hesitate to call. Get my number from Christine

Craig
Iceman II
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by johnracer
Sounds like the rear end is off center. Check your track locator. I'd guess its loose or bent, pulling the rear to one side.
Seems I read somewhere that an antiroll bar was unnecessary with ladder bars. I could be mistaken. At any rate, never preload with the antiroll bar. Set any preload with the ladder bars then set antiroll bar neutral/no preload....
Johnny
X2

TS1955
Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

the track locater will square the rearend? where do you mearsure to? why is a anti-roll a bad idea on a ladder bar car? doesn"t it help to plant the tires equally? i run 32x13.5w, so theres a big tire under the car. i has a nasty injected 434 that runs 8.90-9.00. but the sixtys are slow. the car leaves with the wheels up 1-2"and the frontend is even. thanks mike
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

The track bar locates side to side wich "could" put the rear out of square. I measure from the lower control arms to the front center of the car, AND I measure axle flanges to the frame rails. Both measurements sould be the same side to side.
Whats your 60' ? I was 1.27 on the Iceman car, always thought it should have done better but it didnt. 1.25 was best.

Craig

I thought i heard you were sellin your stuff...bad economy or something like that

Good luck
Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't think the antiroll is going to help you, i think you need too soften up the shocks and maybe lower the front of the ladder bars. i know 3 people local that have installed them and then removed them, they are all 4 link cars though. The pic. below is a local ladder bar truck stock frame that weighs over 3,000 lbs and runs mid 8's on a 572" gas motor (no nitrous) has run 8.13@178 with nitrous. He tried an antiroll and then removed it. He carries the wheels about 18" up for atleast 100' is deadly consistent.

JMO

Zip.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

everything is for sale dually, gooseneck, golfcart,zuma and the car. i just want to make everything is right before my stuff is sold, just my style. the anti-roll is going to be installed, if it doesn't work a few bolts and it can come off. i maybe need to start looking a the convertor because of the 60' only being 1.29-1.31. then again this car is my first with a glide not a 400
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

[ the car leaves with the wheels up 1-2"and the frontend is even. thanks mike[/quote]

If the car leaves even then an anti-roll bar is not necessary. JMO

TS1955