OPINIONS ON ALCOHOL INJECTED MOTORS

Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

Default OPINIONS ON ALCOHOL INJECTED MOTORS

Would like to hear some opinions on the alcohol injected motors. I am looking at trading for a dragster that has a alcohol injected motor on in and want to know some advantages and some disadvantages about that kind of a motor. 8)
Old 10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Pro's
Runs cooler
fuel is cheaper
at WOT (IMO) seems to be more consistant than gas
torque is lower in the RPM (most of the time)

Cons
starting can be an issue (put a primer set up on it)
fuel system maintence- run klots or another lube or drain the system every weekend and WD40 everything

Oh and it is great for finding evey little nick and cut on your hands (LOL)
Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I know allot of guys I race with just carry a little squirt bottle of regular gas with them to start the engine up when its cold, after its warm its doesn't seem to be a problem.
Also isn't a good idea to increase the freqency of your oil changes or at leaset drain it out after the races and let the alcohol evaoprate out?
Cp
Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

When we ran a SC dragster with no rad, milky oil was always an issue. We put a rad on the car leave the starting line at 180 the car might see 200 as we turn off. Turn the fans on and we're at 170-180 by the time we get to our pit spot. Gapless ring helps too. Alcohol begins to evaporate out of the oil at 175 deg. if you can keep the temp up while you race and on the return road, change the oil at the end of the weekend. I know a couple of guys that change it once a month. But they do use electric vac pumps to get rid of moisture in the oil. They only use the vac pump for moisture removal, not a horsepower gain