oil pan fit

Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
cervidog
CRAFTSMAN

Default oil pan fit

Lost of those cheep 7/8qt oil pans out there,anybody using one? I am thinking of getting one.Among other things about fit.Sellers are never specific about what they will or will not fit.I got a 400 sbc in an 80Malibu.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

They will fit i have a 377"/aka/400 blk with 350 crank in my 80 malibu.

Zip.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default oil pan

Check the welds on the baffle(s) and flap of the oil pan. I had the welds on the flap break lose and get caught under the pick up :(
New pan, brand name. Got no sympathy when talking to the maunfact.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

What's your engine worth?

One of the posters up here has a signature that says "Only the rich can afford to use cheap parts" or something like that . .

Take that for what it's worth . . .

Oil is the lifeblood of your engine. Can you "afford" to be without it ?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Engine harmonics combined with flinging oil mass (even with a windage tray) can raise all sorts of heck on inferior welds in an oil pan.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
cervidog
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks for the input guys.All other things being equal,I can put my own welds on one for the money.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cervidog
Thanks for the input guys.All other things being equal,I can put my own welds on one for the money.
I was a ProComp dealer for 8 yrs., and i've sold 40 to 50 of these pans, forunately i haven't seen any weld problems, but i did have 2 pans that were warped on the pan rails up to 1/4", i always use studs and recommend that anyone use them on any pan they buy.

I'm no longer a dealer as of 11/2012, i couldn't keep up with the high volume sellers, so it wasn't worth my time.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by roadkill2
What's your engine worth?

One of the posters up here has a signature that says "Only the rich can afford to use cheap parts" or something like that . .

Take that for what it's worth . . .

Oil is the lifeblood of your engine. Can you "afford" to be without it ?
yes sir.... couldnt say it any better :wink:
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but I think it is easy to say what's your engine worth to someone, but we all have our budgets.

If this is what you have the money for just get it in and check it out really well. Set it on a block the check the rail straightness, use the end gaskets to check there, look over the welds really good, check the clearance of the pickup to the bottom of the pan. If it doesn't meet your expectations send it back.

If you want to look at a mid priced pan check out these guys. this is who's pan I am running and also a few of my friends.

http://www.champpans.com/index.cfm

Curtis
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

As goofy as it sounds, an oil pan is a very important part of your "complete engine assembly" . . Without a properly designed (and built) pan you are putting all the other high buck parts you've invested in at risk . .

Not to mention, possibly losing 25-35 HP to windage. And, with windage and a lack of storage volume, you may run out of oil at the top end of a run (it's all either in the top of the engine or suspended by windage) . .

And as was mentioned, excessive windage also can break welds inside the pan, further disrupting oil return flows, and unless you get lucky and find the problems on a teardown, you get to re-invest when the oil pan problems manifest themselves!

And waaay back when I was doing a lotta fabrication, I must've built, modified or repaired several dozen "Racing" Oil Pans, and disregarding how much time I had in 'em, they weren't any better than the expensive ones and certainly, more expensive if you got paid for it.

Currently, I'm a crew chief for a guy who owns a sheet metal fab shop, and he could probably build anything we've bought, but when you look at the engineering and time it takes to build a good oil pan, they're really pretty cheap and damned good insurance . .

Back to the "Cheap parts" saying . . Ask yourself, are those T&D rockers or those high Buck Roller Lifters worth saving a hundred or so bucks on an oil pan for . . ?

Jus' sayin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -