block filling,any luck with it?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zerotolerance
i run a 388 sbc also with the block filled to the bottom of the water pump inlet i run a meziere eletric pump and no t stat, i cant get my motor to run above 160 i use my motor alot on the street and its 15.5:1 compression. if i do let the temp run up 180-90 not using the fan, it does take longer to get the temp down back around 160. most of the time i usualy dont use the fan she just runs 160 cruising around. hope this helps your decision.
:?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

have you done an A-Z cost analysis of what this is gonna cost you to have this cracked blocked re-sleeved
( time taking out engine,tearing down,machine work etc....)

Sorry but i just cannot see you coming out ( $$$$ ) repairing damaged goods when you can Buy a FACTORY ready to go un-damaged block pretty reasonable..

if you had a cracked Dart little M block or something like that i could understand repairing.

EXAMPLE:...Not ready to go but cheap enough.
http://www.racingjunk.com/post/13713...ort-block.html

JMO. :roll:

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
zerotolerance
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by kwkracing
zerotolerance where do yo u drive this car? In alaska? Antarctica? Theres no way you can drive a block filled 15to1 motor around and never worry about over heating unless it was in a boat getting 20 degree water for cooling. lol... Im curious.
hey guys im not making this stuff up i live in upstate ny near albany. ive had this combo running now since july and in the heat of a nice summer day she runs 160-180 i have not been able to get it any hotter than that unless i dont use the fan. i can cruise with no fan and shes great i snap the fan on when coming to a light and she will sit right there hanging around 180 as soon as i get cruising i shut the fan off and she will come down to 160-170. now that is it getting cold here i had the car out last weekend and if i remember it was a chilly night about 40 for the life of me i couldnt get any temp in the motor she ran about 140 i even turned the water pump off and ran around to try to get some temp in her but as soon as i turned the fan on again she would go right back to 130-140. the motor is in a 73 nova has a griffin radiator with two 1" cores (i even have a huge tranny cooler in front of the radiator) meziere eletric pump 15.5:1 and i run it on c-14 vp fuel. the carb is a pro systems 950. heres the kicker witch i think my be helping me is, i do not have inner fenders in the car. another thing i also spray 2 stages on this setup. if there is any further questions i will be more then happy to fill you in. i just put my car in storage its snowing here now but i will post some pics of my setup this week so you guys can see.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

I would only go around 3 inches below the freeze plugs using hardblock so ya have a lil space still too cool the engine. 3 inches below will still tie the cylinders together and still allow cooling, race only ,take care