REAR AXLE

Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Gimmethakick
SENIOR BUILDER

Moser says gundrilling takes out 1lb for every foot of axle drilled. Thats rotational weight so its alot better than just taking 5 or 6lbs out of the car. The wheel speed will increase faster.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

It's also removal of "Unsprung" weight. Even in Drag Racing, it's important to keep your rear axle and all that hangs off it as light as possible . . If it's hanging by a suspension . .

Because this is weight that you cannot transfer, but is affected by all the forces that act on the roll center of the car . . plus, if there's any inclination to either "Wheel Hop" or tire shake, more unsprung weight excaberates the problem . .

Having a "Strong" rear end assembly doesn't necessarily mean it has to be heavy . .
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

I think roadkill2 nailed on the head, it does make them stronger to a degree but i'm no expert i'd compare it to a driveshaft you don't see any solid driveshafts.

Speaking of axles is there anyone on here that i can order through and ship to Australia. I've tried a couple of shops here in oz and they're telling me 12-15 weeks shipping, must be on the slow boat around the world.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

now im so confused! lol
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

One more thing about all this . . The idea of "Rifle Drilling" or "Gun Drilling" axles really got popular back in the early 70's in Drag Racing because the guys in the, then new, "Pro Stock" class were doing everything they could do to lighten up their cars . . Axles weren't the only things they drilled . . At one time, early in the game, most of the big names, Glidden, Sox and Martin, Warren johnson (just to name a few) were drilling holes in anything that they could do it to, including boring all screws and bolts that were in tension or compression. Anything dealing with shear, they backed off from . . But the axles are kind of a direct carryover from that period and technology.

And one might be surprised at how much weight the centers of bolts and screws make up on a car. Warren Johnson (way back before he was famous) told me once that it took up to 10 pounds off a car if done right . .

Now 10 pounds may not sound like much but back then it was a bunch . . And in some cases, it still is . . especially if it's on your wife's butt and she asks you about it . .
Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="roadkill2".

Now 10 pounds may not sound like much but back then it was a bunch . . And in some cases, it still is . . especially if it's on your wife's butt and she asks you about it . .[/quote]

I HATE it when that happens....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: BIG time deer in headlights time for me.......I'm dead either way so I just clam up and get busy doing ANYthing.....and then I get DRILLED for not 'talking'....No wonder I like cars, they expect NOTHING.