What's your Daytime Job.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Quite a few years back, I couldn't find work so I grabbed up my push broom, a 5 gallon bucket, and my flat bladed long handle shovel and swept parking lots for 4 months through the heat of the summer. There's no frickin' way you'd see any of our 'youth' think of doing something like that....
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

hey now. im on of those "youth" sittin here at 20 years old. and i work nights as a parts guy. during the day befor work i usally am working on my dads truck im fixing whatever he broke.(hes really good at that). then on the weekdn i usally behind the wheel. Only getitn payed for the parts job. money is tight but ill do anyhting to keep our company running.

But yes i do agree with you kids my age our worthless i dont anyone that would work half as hard as i do they all got fired and our just sitin on unemployment.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
binderman
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Originally Posted by binderman
I got layed off from Eaton corp. on Dec 19th, their transmission plant here in Shenendoah Iowa. I bought a gutter machine back in february, but that is even slow, I just talked to my old supervisor last friday and he says i may get called back in the next month or so thank god.
You know what? Instead of belly aching or crying, this gentleman got off his butt and searched a way to pay the bills with the gutter business. He's not looking for the government to bail him out.
Binderman, you are a great American. :!:
Dave
Thanks for the kind words, however i have to say if i wasnt able to draw unemployment at the same time it would be very hard to pay the bills. There just isnt anything going on in my part of the country. I am lucky that i am able to draw since they consider me "temporarily layed off", I was supposed to be called back in april or may but, they just keep pushing it back. I am also lucky that the wife still has her job.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I didn't even think about so many guys getting laid off or plant closings when I started this thread. I hate to hear so many are having tuff times.
I can say that there are some good jobs in my area. Savannah River Site is hiring all craft over the next year for 2 different jobs. They have $1.8 billion of Stimlus money :shock:
They're hiring people and they have nothing to do. I don't mean waiting, I'm saying 130 people sitting in offices WITH NOHING TO DO today or tomorrow. Just drawing GOOD money from our wounderful government.
This link is the MOX facility. Shaw Areva is the GC.
http://www.moxproject.com/about/

We also have a nuclear power plant, Plant Vogtle, being built here. The Shaw Group nuclear division is the GC. This job has just started and still digging the 8 acre hole for the reactors, but will need all craft next year. http://www.contractorsunlimited.co.u...408-shaw.shtml
If hope this helps some of you or somebody you know!!

BTW if it helps any their is a Drag Strip called Carolina Dragway (House of Hook!) in the same town as the Savannah River Site!! That's where the race was at that Beetle Juice went 2 weekends ago.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by newjack42
hey now. im on of those "youth" sittin here at 20 years old. and i work nights as a parts guy. during the day befor work i usally am working on my dads truck im fixing whatever he broke.(hes really good at that). then on the weekdn i usally behind the wheel. Only getitn payed for the parts job. money is tight but ill do anyhting to keep our company running.

But yes i do agree with you kids my age our worthless i dont anyone that would work half as hard as i do they all got fired and our just sitin on unemployment.
You and your parents should be very proud of YOU ! You are definitely
an exceptional exception to the 'norm', just as the 'youth' that make up our exceptional armed forces. You will be very successful and go a long ways !!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Originally Posted by newjack42

You and your parents should be very proud of YOU ! You are definitely
an exceptional exception to the 'norm', just as the 'youth' that make up our exceptional armed forces. You will be very successful and go a long ways !!
There is hope for this country's future!!!
Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

I work for the railroad Amtrak working on trains that break down in route or riding them to protect them to there next destination. 27 plus years.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Work at the worlds largest Potash fertilizer mine(shaft 3,200ft. down)here at Mosaic in Canada,owned by a USA company,Cargill . Shift work 12hrs days/nights. We ship to Northern States for their corn fields also sell to Europe,Asia,India,etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

We have a DSM Chemical here. They have Potash there too. It hasn't been hit as hard by the recession as some of the other parts of the plant.