Tire shake with P/G

Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Qoute:

On the Blower deal . . "3000 RPM and you're done" . . not really. Depends on your Blower and the pulleys you use . . If that were the concrete case, you wouldn't need to overdrive a Blower like we all do on a competition Engine . . and I underdrive the little 144 on my Street Rod so that in high gear I'm not running against compression, yet when I stand on it it starts working at 2650 engine RPM . . Noticeably!

I didn't say that you couldn't flow more by overdriving the blower, boost is directly relative to how good your exhaust system is. IE- valves,headers, cam size, and timming. As you see in top fuel and top alcohol dragsters, they run short headers, to relieve the pressure. In the top alcohol funny cars you always see them spray WD 40 for a de-icer on the injection butterflys. This is because the pressure backs up and blows the alcohol back up thru the blower and freezes the butterflys open if they donot spray them, causing stuck throttle blades. Yes they run 40 to 60 percent overdrive on the blowers to produce 50 lbs plus boost, it flows a lot more fuel therfore more HP. I run a 1471 Littlefield blower with a buzzard catcher on a sm/blk chevy at 20% overdrive on alcohol pushing 40 lbs boost with zoomies. Heck i could run 50% overdrive, but i couldn't get it out the exhaust system.

Tire shake, i don't know much about that since i run door cars.

Zip.

PS, i ran my first blower car in 1964 on gas
Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Just sent the convertor back to JW who built it, and they are going to set it up to be less aggressive on the launch but not affect the top end . We run with a blown show and no electronics and not that fast 7.50. We have no problem running the number if we are not screwing around with shake on the line. I will let you know if it makes any difference. Thanks for all the responses.

Rick
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Originally Posted by TRChassis
Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Hope that Helps,its NOT Much,but sometimes thats alls YOU Need?
Later
G 8)
TIGHT CONVERTER!!!!
Later
G 8)
BB Chevy,
Do you mean we need a tight converter or our problem is a tight convertor?

Thanks,
Rick
Rick Yes you NEED a TIGHT Converter,3000-3500 Range!
Later
G 8)
GOOD Luck with that 8",.........
Well BB Chevy, you are correct, we finally put everything back together and JW told us the same thing you said and they tightened the convertor, and I cannot believe the difference. The car just launched 3 time perfect, no shake no wheelies, just perfect. It ran a 7.34 at a density altitude of 7,700 ft with a 1.04 60 ft.
Thanks for all the help.
Rick
Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Later
G 8)
TIGHT CONVERTER!!!!
Later
G 8)
BB Chevy,

Thanks,
Rick
Later
G 8)
Well BB Chevy, you are correct, we finally put everything back together and JW told us the same thing you said and they tightened the convertor, and I cannot believe the difference. The car just launched 3 time perfect, no shake no wheelies, just perfect. It ran a 7.34 at a density altitude of 7,700 ft with a 1.04 60 ft.
Thanks for all the help.
Rick
glad ya got her figured out

We just went though this with a another blower combo 522 though, we had opposite findings for the fix again. Wonder if its due to the lower elevation or car difference we run in ? Very interesting.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Rick,
Later
G 8)
TIGHT CONVERTER!!!!
Later
G 8)
BB Chevy,

Thanks,
Rick
Later
G 8)
Thanks for all the help.
Rick
Rick,
I started out with a Blown Alchol F/C Chassis,had all parts Motor & Trans(No Converter)Listened to some So Be-It,Knowit-All?Buy a Loose converter 5-5500 Stall.So I did,I fought that Combo for almost 2 seasons?Changed Every Part on the Car,thinking that NO Way there could be a C/Verter Issue It NEW!
Guess what,went back to all the Parts Org.on the Car,purchased a New 10"2500-3000 stall converter,from a Company that I'm not even sure is still around(Munsinger),...................BINGO,the Car went down the Track Better and Faster than Ever before,and deadly Consistant!
Later
G 8)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:16 AM
hardatach01
SHOW GUEST

I know his is gonna sound crazy....but I had the problem in door car. tried new tires, different tire pressure,on and off the brake. It still did the same thing. I was running out of options and really couldn't figure it out. Out of desperation, I fattened the barrel valve a half of turn...guess what, problem solved...who the heck knows?