Remote overfill bottle location

Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Remote overfill bottle location

I've been running a radiator overflow bottle mounted next to the radiator but I think i wanna run it out back instead. So far ive got a good location in the trunk next to the fuel cell. Id plumb both the vent and the drain to the back bumper. Steel braided 3/8 line and not iside the car ever.
Any suguestions ?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

If this system is only for over flow you can do the trunk as you want to, but if this is a recovery or closed system, you will end up with air in the system due to the coolant recovery tank being too far away to refill the engine during cool down. If the recovery tank is too low even if it is up front it will not work reliably either. FYI
Bruce
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I agree with TopspeedLowet. I believe you have a closed system, where the tube goes all the way to the bottom of the overflow bottle. If that is the case you would get air trapped and have over heating problems, I feel. I agree you need it mounted as high as possible for gravity. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Right now its an overflow bottle, no means for it to back to the radiator as it cools. Ive thought about makeing it into a recovery system, but i thought i read somewhere its against the NHRA rules..
Any other suguestions for a puke tank or should i leave it where it is ?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

It seems like a lot of work and expense just to move the bottle back to the rear. If your concern is the size of the bottle, I think a pint recovery bottle is all that is required. That should free up some room. Plus having it under the hood makes it more convenient to check after making a pass. You might tend to ignore it if it's out of site.
Ours is mounted on the passenger side of the radiator with a petcock on the bottom.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Alot of time and work ? How hard is it to rezip tie the bottle to a bar in the trunk and run a 10 foot 3/8 hose? As far as maintence, it would be easier if it was up front, but i think the safty factor oughtweighs the hassel. It aint that big a deal.
What do the pro stock, top sportsman do ?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Pro stock runs a one quart recovery bottle mounted in front of the radiator.
They use a closed system. This is the most common method that seems to work the best for me and pro stock.
Just like in the picture of the car above your question on andamo's rad.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

The picture I sent along is a former Pro Stock car that belonged to Larry Nance that we now run in T/S. The car is a Haas car.