hawk racing rods?????china but so it eagle

Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM
nabit
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

well I guess I will be everyones guinea pig then..After I get it running and use to having all that power from the 496 I will be adding nitrous to it...

I saw another person on a different site that was running this crank but with the i beam rods and he had it for a few years running with no problems in a street strip car and he raced it alot, that is what made my mind up on using them..or ohio, rpm or any of the other lower priced crank companies..
Old 09-02-2007, 10:45 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Nabit,
I wish you well and hope this works for you.

There is no way possible I would consider using unknown components in my own engine or in a customer engine.

At least the Eagle, Scat, and Cat are established with their own reputations now.

You did mention that the crank is a cast crank? To me that sounds scarey but if it is for low horsepower it may be ok. That does start me wondering though. Cast 4.250 crank? There is not many around. Maybe that is a clue about who Hawk really is.

I do wonder about the product choice of name too. Hawk - Eagle. Hmm' would be easy enough to have the same logo. Wonder if this is an Eagle underground Buyer/Supplier?

Maybe it is good parts that are sold in blemish sales. I have nothing against the blemish stuff.

Ed
Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'd be a hypocrite if i say i don't or haven't used the parts mentioned on this post. I have an Eagle crank and rods in my 377" motor that has gone 5.16 and 8.26 in a dragster and runs 6.50's in my 3250lb Malibu 2 yrs. old, i also have a 434" with a scat crank, but with Lanotti promod rods. No matter what you use in a 4340 stl. it's better than factory stuff. I think everyone who posted here just wanted to alert the person that he was not getting the best product available. I personally know the limits of the products and stay within them, that's why i run them. If i were build an all out engine no matter what size, i would opt. for better parts. IE: example, my 383", blown alcohol 1471,buzzard catcher motor has, a Lanotti, black crank, BME alum. rods, and Arias blower pistons, because i don't want to run over the parts at 1/2 track when i'm already having enough trouble just getting down the track. The motor has already been 4.61 in the 1/8 when it was a 358" motor @ 2600lbs, it's now going in an 1800lb Anglia as a 383" motor earley next yr.

just my .02

Zip.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Nabit,
I wish you well and hope this works for you.

There is no way possible I would consider using unknown components in my own engine or in a customer engine.

At least the Eagle, Scat, and Cat are established with their own reputations now.

You did mention that the crank is a cast crank? To me that sounds scarey but if it is for low horsepower it may be ok. That does start me wondering though. Cast 4.250 crank? There is not many around. Maybe that is a clue about who Hawk really is.

I do wonder about the product choice of name too. Hawk - Eagle. Hmm' would be easy enough to have the same logo. Wonder if this is an Eagle underground Buyer/Supplier?

Maybe it is good parts that are sold in blemish sales. I have nothing against the blemish stuff.

Ed
Ed, they're cast , 5140 steel, not cast iron, everybody is now selling them, they are one step above the cast iron cranks, that's what the SIR rods are made with, they for sure don't break as easy. My friend runs (2)305" class sprint cars and uses the SIR rods (manatory replacement for stock) and he broke a piston a few weeks ago, the rod looked like a pretzel, but didn't break. I've seen stock chevy rods break with half that much stress.

Zip.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Zip,
You just have to send me pics of that Anglia.

I love them.

Ed
Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Zip,

I love them.

Ed
WELL!!!, Ed,

I'll post them if you promise not to laugh, i bought in your country(Tx is a seperate country, right?) a little over a yr. ago (Big Springs, Tx) it's an all original steel body and still right hand steer. All i've accomplished so far is the body work,(remember i'm old and slow hehe) and i had the chassis made by ART in Fl. and i have the rear fab 9" and r&p steering. I now have to mount the body and build the cage, plus i still need wheels and tires. I have the power train ready to go. I don't know if i can drive it because i haven't been that fast for over 20yrs, but i'm going to try.

let me know if you want me to post the photos.

Zip.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Zip,

I love them.

Ed
O'k Ed here is the Anglia and chassis, plus the blower motor link when i had it in my friends ugly Dodge that went 4.61, it was 358" here. Don't be concerned about the smoke we had just run the valves. I still tune them like the old days, leap frog to the starting line, the fans love it

Zip.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...album/a_11.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...album/a_44.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...album/a_33.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...album/a_22.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...hassis-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...achassis-2.jpg

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...24568453485455
Old 09-03-2007, 02:46 AM
nabit
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

the cast steel hawk crank is the same material as the cast steel 9000 scat crank.

If I could find were i read it at I will post it but it state that scat, cat, hawks rpm ohio and eagle are all made in the same factory in china, but the finihing and polishing of the journals is done in the own companies factory and that is the only difference.

back in the mid 90"s i remeber scat getting the same bad rap that these new ones are and that turned out to be bogus, people just weren't into buying china made stuff. Now that scat has seemed to have been decent other companies are following in the footsteps.

I have spoke to a few that hae hawks cranks and rods for a few years and none have had problems yet so that is the reason for me purchasing them. I got feedback from some customers before buying them.

If I had the money I might have gone the eagle route but for cost I went hawks...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 AM
excelerater
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Never buy race parts for new MFGs untill you get feedback from other racers on how the parts are living......Eagle and Scat both had growing pains a few years ago but are both doing pretty well and delivering
decent stuff-can you say that about Hawk?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
nabit
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by excelerater
Eagle and Scat both had growing pains a few years ago but are both doing pretty well and delivering
decent stuff-can you say that about Hawk?
well I talked to a few people that had been running hawk stuff for a few years and they didn't have any problems with them at all, so i went that route. Are there as many people running hawk as there are running scat and eagle..no
does that make them a bad product...well only time will tell..I am hoping yes but if not then I have the start to a nice coffee table...lol..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -