convertor stall

Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default convertor stall

I need some advice on what stall you think i should run
new motor dart block
383 sbc 13.42 cr...210 afr elimanator ported heads.....super victor intake ported...4150 holley flowing 970 cfm....solid roller 264-272 duration with 634 lift...dart block...mahle pistons...scat 60 i beam rods.....eagle crank....600 hp at 6700 rpm peak and torque 540 at 5200-5300 rpm..glide 1.76 with 8 inch 5000 stall verter......tires 32x14x15...... .old motor made around 70 less horse and peak torque was around 4800-5000 rpm...old motor flashed torque dead stall close to 5300 rpm off my tach and the new motor flashes around 5000 rpm...i moved the torque peak up higher......i made 4 passes with car launches with tires in the air and 60 foots are down.05 .......also i was running out of gear in top end with 5.14.....so i have changed to 4.86 gears haven't tried them yet.........curious on what stall i should have for new motor i am guessing around 5500-5600.what do u guys think........the car has picked up et just loosing it in the bottom end and top end and gears should help top end...........tell me your thoughts and opinions ........thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Something doesn't seem right. The new Motor makes 70 more HP and I think it has to be less torque? Since it stalls less...Less Torque from what I understand. So I think the converter needs to be looser.
I would say about 5500 as a Minimum and I think closer to 6000 would be better. Don't want that motor to drop back too much with not as much Torque to pull it out. Just a thought. Maybe I am off my rocker? ops:
Also what was the old MPH? What is the new?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by us7race
Something doesn't seem right. The new Motor makes 70 more HP and I think it has to be less torque? Since it stalls less...Less Torque from what I understand. So I think the converter needs to be looser.
I would say about 5500 as a Minimum and I think closer to 6000 would be better. Don't want that motor to drop back too much with not as much Torque to pull it out. Just a thought. Maybe I am off my rocker? ops:
Also what was the old MPH? What is the new?
The new motor makes 25 foot pounds of torque more but it makes its torque higher up in the rpm as the old motor was better torque down lower rpm.......i had a out of the hole pull to the right with new motor to and it pulls the wheels about 18 inchs now were it wouldn't oull the wheels at all......i have adjusted the passenger side shock up tighter and set the ride hieght up........i have picked up 2 mph only did 4 passes this year with no tuning it has more in it.......the old motor peaked at 4800 rpm and has about 25 more torque then the new motor but at 5200 rpm the new motor has about 40 more torque...totally moved up my torque curve...i was thinking that the vertor is going to have be loosened up for the new motor but i want to try the new gears to see how it responds
Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

with the your #'s on your engine being high the converter sould be looser i think,maybe your converter is going bad?good luck
Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

5500 should get you where you need.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
5500 should get you where you need.
I agree it should be around 5500 rpm and no the torque convertor is not going away it was gone over during the off season it acted like this from the first pass on it i really think it is just to tight for my new motor.......i ran the car this weekend and changed the gears from 5.14 to 4.86 and figured i might as well heat up the tranny before i go to staging so i put the tranny brake on in the pit and warmed it up like that.....the car picked up .14 and my sixty foots by .05.........this is not the answer as who wants all the heat so i am going to run royal purple synthethic racing tranny fluid and see maybe it will pick me up some stall........hey its worth a try.....i heard guys picking up 200 rpm on thier stall this way....oh ya it had nothing to do with the air as it was worse this weekend by 900 feet
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

i had a converter sent off and freshened,it was perfect,they sent it back 500 rpm looser than it was.i say yours just went the other way. synthetic is the only way to go imo.good luck
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by john858
i had a converter sent off and freshened,it was perfect,they sent it back 500 rpm looser than it was.i say yours just went the other way. synthetic is the only way to go imo.good luck
I did 3 passes with the convertor with the old motor before i installed the new motor..........it just a totally diffrent power curve on this motor not thier fault but i am not into pulling the tranny out to send the convertor in just to get it loosened up by 300 or 400 rpm i want to have some fun so i will try the syntethic oil to see if that help the car is still running pretty repectable for a sbc @ 3900 feet it ran 10.13 just the 60 foots are a little slow @ 1.41.......right air here and it will be in the nines
Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

don,t blame you one bit i wouldn't either. buy the way nice ride 8) ,good luck