400 SBC Block

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Dart has the new SHP blocks that can be bored to 4.165 and I beleive we can machine one out, Line honed, decked, blue print bore and plate hone, clearance the lifter bores clean and ship in the U.S. for around 1795.00

What is the standard bore on this block Carl?How much do you think it will weigh over an 010 sbc block?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by et7333

What is the standard bore on this block Carl?How much do you think it will weigh over an 010 sbc block?
We are going to buy all 4.000 bore blocks and blue print bore them from there and the weight is suppose to be 165 pounds depending on the final bore.

Still waiting for the first ones to arrive.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
Originally Posted by modracer64
Aside from sonic testing is there anyway to tell visually whether a block is a "good" block or not?

Darren
Look for core shift around the machined holes, lifter bores, freeze plugs, etc.
We have not found that not to be very accurate compared to a sonic test.
I was not suggesting that, but can be used to rule out blocks before spending the money.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default 400 block

I have run the 400 block as a 377 and a 406 and I would say that the stock block is good to 575 if you check for core shift and socic test the block. Make sure to have it magnafluxed also as they seem to be prone to cracks in the lifter galley.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

We have a 400 2bolt block that was converted to a splayed 4bolt making 703 hp @ 406ci. This is a drag application. There are always many possibilities. We know that this is not recommended by anyone at this power level but we had the parts and so we built it. That said we see evidence of the block moving around a lot, i.e. cylinders not sealing like we would like allowing blow-by leading to oil leaks. And this block has been poured. Would I recommend anyone else doing this, no way unless you know going in what the end result could be. Call Dart you will sleep better at night. :lol: :lol:

Curtis
Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm with Curtis on this you can do it but there are consequences, i run a 377" 2 bolt main and even with a gurddle there's evidence of main cap walk, and even with the block filled to the water pump there's still ring seal problems and i don't think i have much over 600 HP if that. We have a couple 434" that run good, but all the above still happens.
Bottom line if you can afford it go to an after market block, i bit the bullit and bought a Dart little "M" for my 434" that i'm building.

PS, Hink, i hope you guys bought the 350 main blks., since most everyone i know is going that way.Also i saw an ad for the new SHP blocks here on RJ, for about the same prices you mentioned, but i don't think they mentioned fixing the lifter bores.

JMO

Zip.