High Compression & Pump Gas??

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

You can buy E-98 in barrells. I know a few guys that will then play chemist, and mix their own batches of E-85. I said, just tune it on E-98, and say its E-85, duh, lol. That way, the compression is basicaly unlimited, like methanol, as it almost pure alchohol. You can;t actualy get 100% Ethanol, then it gets hit with a liquor tax, and you wouldn;t be able to buy it anyhow, without a license, as, it is basicaly moonshine.

E-98, last time I checked, was about $125 for 55 gallons. They mix 2% 87 octane, so it can be shipped as engine fuel. Try drinking it, even with only 2% gas in it, and get sick as hell, or die, lol. Sorta like sniffing NOS that is used for cars, with the sulfer Dioxide in it. Years ago, I had a few buddies, that tried it. I told them, no, you can;t do that. They said, yah, its nos, like at the dentist. I said, its not medicale grade, its industrial grade, with Sulfer dioxide, so you can;t sniff it. No No they said. I wish I had a video camera rolling when they did it. It was funny

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Hello
How effective is octane boost? I used some charts (program) to figure out my compression ratio and it is going to be around 11.3:1
I have a old mech Crane Compu cam 256/264 @.050 and we don;t have E-85 in our area yet
I was just hoping to get by with the cam and octane boost
Tom
427 5 speed with 4.56's
Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 AM
engineaction
APPRENTICE

High compression pump gas engines, I wouldn't be afraid to run 11.5-12:1 on pump gas with an EFI Alum. headed engine. I would do it with a carb as long as it was a good carb, with the proper fuel curve. There is a secret persay to running that kind of compression with pump gas. Must use an Alum head with proper combustion chamber design. Combustion chamber design includes the piston dish/dome, and the quench area. And the proper camshaft (Int. valve timing) Think in terms of all the pump gas turbo/super-charged engines. Some one mentioned all the new bikes with hi compression. Lots of R&D behind those designs. It is easily accomplished.
E-85 is a great performance fuel, Only a hand full of engine builders actually know anything about it, and the rest think they do. E-85 is an organic fuel, everybody thinks it is made of corn, but it can also be made out of wheat, sage, bean stalks, ditch weed, and any other dry flammable grasses. This is why E-85 is so inconsistant when it comes to octane rating. Know your fuel company, Heck I talked with the fuel truck driver at an E-85 gas station and learned more info/contacts than you can anywhere in regards to E-85. Working for my previous employer, we spent a great deal of time on E-85 fuels, This was when it first came out in early 2001.

11.5 on 92 octane pump gas.........I'm not scared.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:37 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

I`m building right now, a BBC 588 with 11-1 for street and track for pump gas,going to dyno in a month or so,,,so I will post results, DCR shud be under 8-1
Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

http://www.e85performance.net/forums/

Check out this website for more info on E-85. Several guys running it but I am not chancin my engine. I am running leaded racing gas in my pro street. In my opinion, it's uncharted waters. Some say you must change fuel cells to stainless and convert carb to alcohol. the website is very informative on E-85. Plenty of E-85 and racing gas in Illinois at Gas City.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
bakerboys
APPRENTICE

Default 13.0 or better compression ratio

what type or octane fuel would i have to run bbc just over 500 cubic inches with 13.0 to 13.5 compression
Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default E85

E85 is found at pumps at gas stations here in North Dakota and it cost about 2.60 a gallon but it varies with the price of gas, there is a web site that lists all places that sells it but im not sure where its at so try a little searching you might find it, it was posted i think by our Govenor...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 13.0 or better compression ratio

Originally Posted by bakerboys
what type or octane fuel would i have to run bbc just over 500 cubic inches with 13.0 to 13.5 compression
!!) 110 race fuel or higher.
Cp
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
bakerboys
APPRENTICE

Default 13.2 compressin

can i drive a bbc with about 13.2 to 13.5 compression on the street.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

This thread falls right in line with my project ... a 1986 Monte Carlo 100% stock bodied , 383 cid approx. 10.5 -1 and 3.42 gears for now ... will be going into the 2 series when I get serious. This will be a LSR ( Land Speed Racing ) car so accelertion in a 1/4 mile isnt my goal, ... right now I am looking at a 1 mile course and in the future a 3 mile and 5 mile.

I'm running flat tap pistons with alum heads. I havent picked out a cam yet but will be going with a hydraulic roller. I'm hoping to get away with 92 oct. and being able to use it as a daily driver .... even though it wont be. Its purpose will be for a cruise every so often and some LSR racing with the first event planned for June with the stock 305 for a baseline and then this fall to try it out with the 383 in it.

To be on topic I have always heard that for pump gas a BB needs to stay at 10.0-1 or below to work out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -