REAR END CENTERING

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default REAR END CENTERING

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CENTER THE REAR UNDER THE CAR 86 MONTE CARLO.I HAVE BEEN DROPPING A PLUMB LINE DOWN FROM THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL WELL AND MEASUREING FROM THE TIRES,I DONT THINK THAT IS VERY ACCUATE DO TO THE BODY COULD BE DIFFERENT FROM SIDE TO SIDE.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Measure from the inside edge of the wheel to the frame. If its off, get adjustable upper control arms, which you prolly should already have, and adjust side to side with those. With those, now you can adjust pinion angle properly. I would recomend also getting 1/4" longer lowers also. Those will allow you to lower you pinion angle without shortening the wheelbase putting the tire into the front of the wheel well. A welded in anti roll bar is the ticket too but now there are bolt in versions that Ive heard alot of good things about, just never used em personally.

Craig
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

A to B and C to D should be equal. once you have that, move the rear housing sidways until ...
A to D and B to C are be equal. your rear end is now perfectly square.
I measure from the grease zerk on the lower ball joint to the center of the rear axle.

Good luck, cam67152
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

align a striaght edge against each front rim to the rear axle set up, then you know exactly where your at in relation to the wheel tracking and body , then you can adjust as needed.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by cam67152

A to B and C to D should be equal. once you have that, move the rear housing sidways until ...
I measure from the grease zerk on the lower ball joint to the center of the rear axle.

Good luck, cam67152
i did this and but one tire is closer to the frame than the other by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch.tires are perfect by measuring down from center of fender.could the frame or body be that much off from the factory??
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

measure from the brake backing plate. a little more accurate than wheel.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by cam67152

Good luck, cam67152
i did this and but one tire is closer to the frame than the other by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch.tires are perfect by measuring down from center of fender.could the frame or body be that much off from the factory??
If you remove your rear wheels, hang a plumbob off one of your wheel studs rotate it until the string goes rite through the centre of the axle, do the measurements like above. Then everything is square. If it is still out your body or frame must be out. Has it ever been hit, that you know of?
Cam67152
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

NOT THAT I KNOW OF.