What motor to build?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

BIG BLOCK ,WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN BIG BLOCK, Just fun'in, Stay SBc,you've got the headers, etc, AND THERES A BIG weight difference.Stock block,build a 406,there killer motors! Or for a little more (aftermarket block) which you will NEVER be sorry you bought!!! Build a 454sbc,YES 454 SBC,Ill run any comperable (sp) bbc .You also already have a nitrous setup for the combo now WOW what a blast! And its easy on parts!!! Ive got a 472 SBC and its GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D.R.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Racefab57
BIG BLOCK ,WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN BIG BLOCK, Just fun'in, Stay SBc,you've got the headers, etc, AND THERES A BIG weight difference.Stock block,build a 406,there killer motors! Or for a little more (aftermarket block) which you will NEVER be sorry you bought!!! Build a 454sbc,YES 454 SBC,Ill run any comperable (sp) bbc .You also already have a nitrous setup for the combo now WOW what a blast! And its easy on parts!!! Ive got a 472 SBC and its GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D.R.
Hey David do you have 18* heads on that motor so you can get enough air to that motor?

Zip.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: What motor to build?

Originally Posted by TYSON14
As racing season ends time to build another motor. would you build a sbc a good 383 stroker or a 406 with good 4340 internals. Our would you build a 454 bbc and turn it into a 496 or a 509. Cause a rotating assembly is about the same. I no you cant turn a sbc into 434 without getting a aftermarket block. How big can you go with a stock bbc. You can get a short block for about the same price. well almost the same price there is about a 500 to 700$ differnce. My goal is to have a motor that does not cost alot to run.

Tyson....BBC's have alot of torque stock great for transferring weight....but in the later years big inch small blacks are the rage....to be honest search some websites on the internet....I had searched almost a year b4 getting touch with the gentleman who built mine....John at Stroker Engine his website is www.strokerengine.com ...even if you want to ask him some questions John will try his best to answer them very inteigent chap he is :wink: :wink:
Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

big chevy for more than 500hp for less go sbc...i cant say in words how my heart races in my chest when i fire up my 572!!!

i have a friend that has as much money on his tricked out 434 sbc as i do with my 572.his best is 10.30s to mid10s on motor.ive ran 9.70s @ 145 on motor on mine.he needs more head, ive got alot of mph for time cause of tight converter for nitrous & granted his car is heavier(about 700lbs more) my motor is 10 to one and can take big hit of nitrous comfortably when his motor is 13 to one and had piston height of like .990" meaning bad idea to spray!!!

i built the 400 in my 1989 one ton pick up with vortec heads intake 262 comp extreme cam...some day hoping my now 8 year old son wants to buy say a 80 malibu that needs a motor....refer back to beginning of this paragraph...lol
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

big inch small blocks do run good, but build a bbc and you can always go biggger. start with a 540. Doesn't cost any more than a 509 and you can build bigger and bigger as time goes on! not to mention the extra hp and torque you'll have along the way!! i started with a 509 then went 548 now almost finished with the 632! No way is a sb gonna catch my 632!
If your like me you'll always want more hp/ tq so start as big as you can and it WILL SAVE U $ IN THE LONG RUN!!