What a deal, better jump on it before I do!!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
DISCLAIMER:
I don't know anything about FORDS except the distributor is in the wrong spot.
You sure about that? After moving the mag up to the front, I'm starting to think GM put theirs in the wrong spot. :shock:

Sure is nice not having to reach to the back of the motor to get to the dist.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gungho
Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Yeah cuz they had 2 351's. One was a 351Windsor and the other was a 351 Cleveland. To my knowledge the Windsor was a small block and the Cleveland was a big block.
Wrong again,the difference is they were made in Cleveland or Windsor Michigan,did you ever open the hood?

Oopsy your wrong again.............

This is form one website......
Let’s start with a general overview, specifically an aid in identifying the Cleveland engine. Before the 351C, there was the 351W which was a 351ci capacity version of the original Windsor engine family - so-called because that is where the original engine factory was, Windsor, Ontario - which started life as a 221ci in 1962, but grew to encompass the famous 289 and 302ci versions through the sixties

This is from another website................

Now a 351 Windsor is really a slightly enlarged 289/302, as it's name implies it comes from Fords "Windsor" engine family (a.k.a. the 90-degree V engine family). The thin-wall cast SMALL BLOCK accepts regular sized spark plugs, uses a timing chain in the block, routes water through the intake manifold, features thin main-bearing caps, a very good oiling system, and uses the same heads for 2V & 4V versions. The heads are are small, utilizing in-line valves with relatively small ports. The valves are 1.78" intake and 1.54" exhaust, i.e. the same size as a 289/302. The valve covers are straight (front to rear), attached by 5 bolts, and when removed you can see 351 cast in the lifter valley. The small side-by side (in-line) valves are the dead give-away.
The 351 Cleveland, on the other hand, belongs to Ford's 335 engine family. This thin-wall cast BIG SMALL BLOCK uses the smaller 14mm spark plugs, has a separate front cover (bolted to the block) housing the timing chain and routing water - so that water does not go through the intake manifold, features beefy main caps (wide enough to drill for 4-bolt mains), a poor oiling system, and uses different heads for 2V & 4V versions. The heads make all the difference and these fire breathing babies make this motor the legend it is. On the 4V, the valves are HUGE, measuring 2.19" intake and 1.7n" exhaust (don't remember exactly). Valves this large are only possible via a canted valve arrangement, forming what Ford refers to as a "poly-angle" combustion chamber. The valve covers are not straight - the front is flat and parallel to the ground, but a curve twists the rear parallel to the head. They are attached by 8-bolts and when removed, there is a 4 cast into the corner of the 4V and a 2 cast into the corner of the 2V (at least in 1970). The canted valves are the dead giveaway

Do I need to continue??
Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Actually you can put 351W heads on a 302 AND you can put 351C heads on a 302.

FORD did just that back in 69 and 70.

It was called appropiately> the BOSS 302.

It had the infamous 351C 4V heads.

The V stood for venturi. 4V = 4 barrel carburetor.

Cp
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
Actually you can put 351W heads on a 302 AND you can put 351C heads on a 302.

FORD did just that back in 69 and 70.

It was called appropiately> the BOSS 302.

It had the infamous 351C 4V heads.

The V stood for venturi. 4V = 4 barrel carburetor.

Cp
I knew bout the 351w but I didnt not know bout the 351c heads. Thats is some cool info.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by Tod74
DISCLAIMER:
I don't know anything about FORDS except the distributor is in the wrong spot.
You sure about that? After moving the mag up to the front, I'm starting to think GM put theirs in the wrong spot. :shock:

Sure is nice not having to reach to the back of the motor to get to the dist.
:lol: You sound like my father. He used to run Fords a lot. I made a crack about getting a finger in the fan working on it...he would say "Yeah I'd much rather be gutted while leaning to the back. :roll:
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Dirka I think Gungho was yanking your chain.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Gee i gotta 305 4bbl in my monte!!!!Come on guys ill trade fer one of yer race engines....no ???? asked!!!!! :roll:
Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

orrrrrrr.......... is dirka yanking gungho's chain hmmmmm.....! :shock:
Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
orrrrrrr.......... is dirka yanking gungho's chain hmmmmm.....! :shock:
I dont yank another mans chain :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :twisted: