David South-pintoracing1453

Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default David South-pintoracing1453

I purchased a D3 yates top end from this guy. We negotiated a deal and I sent him a $200.00 deposit through paypal. I met him in Knoxville and paid him another $4300.00 cash for the parts. He told me the heads had a fresh valve job and it looked like they did. The very next day I took them to a local, very reputable performance machine shop. None of the intake valves would hold a vacuum and a close inspection revealed the valve seats had been ruined when who ever did the valve job dressed the chambers. After taking a closer look he found one of the intake seats had been replaced and wasn't fully seated and the finish from milling wasn't done properly. The retainers did not match the springs or locks. I called David as soon as I found these problems to see if he would do anything about it. I told him I could verify everything I had told him and offered to put him in touch with my machine shop. I also suggested he contact his machine shop to find out what they did. He indicated right away he had no interest in sending back any money and said if I wanted to send the heads back he would look at them and might be able to send another set. I told him I would call him back. For the next week he wouldn't answer my calls or return any messages. I started a paypal dispute and when they put a hold on the $200.00 he instantly tried to call me. I missed that call but I got an email and paypal message from him. By now I had lost confidence in him and was a little reluctant to send back any parts and risk losing what little I had. He did eventually send more springs and retainers that didn't match then escalated my paypal dispute to a claim and paypal closed it. His ad states he would give 2 days to inspect the parts but during the paypal dispute he claimed that was not stated in the ad. He also stated he didn't return my calls because he was out of town but I know his number is for a cell phone, I take mine when I travel out of town and he knew there was a problem. The least he could have done was to call and let me know he would contact me when he got home. Here's a link to his now expired ad that I bought these heads from.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Heads/2321...NC-PORTED.html
Here's a link to his current ad.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Heads/2426...R-TOP-END.html
I have since found out that these heads don't flow the [email protected] he claims in the ad but a little less than 400@850. I haven't had a chance to mock them up on a block yet but it doesn't look like the intake will match the heads either. I just stated the big problems with this deal, there ar other problems but I won't get into the rest of it. I realize now that I will just be out the cash to straighten this mess out but I just wanted to warn anyone else considering doing business with this guy.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

And no honor payments.......
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

I noticed the link to the original expired ad no longer worked. I guess he deleted it. Fortunately I saved it as a screen shot. I have hi-res pics of the jacked up valve job if anyone wants to see them. I didn't notice it but the guy working on the heads caught another problem. Whoever worked on these heads before apparently cut out part of the combustion chamber to clean up or hide the damage. They cut far enough to the head surface that there wasn't enough material left to seal the head gasket. I had to take it back to the welder for some more welding last week.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
lovehamr
APPRENTICE

Default Excellent documentation..

of an obvious fraud from the start. I hope you can get those puppies going.