Impact and SFI. This is BIG.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
dpassmore
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Impact and SFI. This is BIG.

All I can say is wow, and bummer. I like their stuff.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=2991

Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

Funny you mention it, I was just talkin to a guy 5 minuites ago about how nice the Impact belts are in my car, outdated and need to be replaced but nice. Probably go w/ Simpson again, just not Bill Simpson :x

Craig
Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community.

I had a guy ask where the helmets I sell are made. A guy that sell Impact said buy theirs since they are an American company.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:42 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

My question is where are the refunds going to come from? Will Impact have to refund your money?
If you bought it from a distributor like Jegs' or Summit. Will they have to refund your money and Impact refund the wholesale price to them?

That will seriously hurt small distributors.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

I had heard something about this not too long ago. I am courious on how everything is going to be handled. I my self don't have any of their products, but would like to know the out come.

TS1955
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like the bogus suits aren't the only problem

The maker of the HANS Device says that 82 of 87 Impact Racing helmets it inspected during the recent NASCAR race week at Bristol Motor Speedway had unauthorized anchors that don’t meet safety specifications on them, according to documents that are part of a lawsuit HANS Performance Products has filed against Impact Racing.

HANS obtained a temporary restraining order last Friday in U.S. District Court in Georgia to keep Impact, owned by longtime safety pioneer Bill Simpson, from selling helmets with the unauthorized anchors. The anchors on the helmet are attached to the tethers that connect to the head-and-neck support that sits on the driver’s shoulders.

The anchors on helmets sold by Impact, HANS alleges, had trademarks of HANS, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) and the SFI Foundation on them. The anchors are not magnetic, while the current HANS-authorized anchors now use magnetic material (HANS had used non-magnetic material in the past). HANS performed an in-house test of the disputed anchors and said the anchor did not meet the loads prescribed by the FIA.

“These differences are not merely aesthetic but can endanger the lives of customers,” HANS states in its request for the temporary restraining order.

HANS Chief Executive Officer Mark Stiles, in an affidavit, said in a conversation with Simpson that Simpson disavowed any association with manufacturing or purchasing counterfeit post anchors, saying that he had bought product direct from HANS Performance Products in the past and was now buying from an authorized HANS Performance Products dealer. He said that he could not see any difference in the post anchors used by Impact.

Simpson attorney Bob Horn said he could not comment on the specifics of the case until Impact Racing files a response later this month. “It sounds like a big deal, but it’s not,” he said Wednesday.

According to documents filed in the case, HANS executives were informed by a former Impact employee about the anchors. HANS then ordered a helmet, which had the alleged unauthorized anchors on them. At Bristol, Impact helmets made up 91 percent of all the helmets inspected with counterfeit anchors.

HANS has replaced the anchors free of charge, according to the documents, and many of the helmets found with the unauthorized anchors had the anchors replaced during the Bristol race weekend.

The HANS Device is one of two head-and-neck restraint systems approved by NASCAR. All drivers in the three national touring series must wear either a HANS Device or a Hutchens Device.

HANS Performance indicated in court documents that it had sold approximately $10 million worth of HANS Devices in North America and another $10 million in the rest of the world in 2008.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

The SFI Foundation, which sets safety standards and certifies equipment such as uniforms and helmets, announced Friday that it has terminated contracts with Impact Racing and all of its driver suits, arm restraints, shoes, gloves, socks, underclothing, helmet supports, and driver restraint systems will be decertified effective April 27.
The announcement comes while SFI and HANS Device creator Hubbard/Downing Inc. are suing Impact, owned by renowned safety pioneer Bill Simpson, over the use of counterfeit HANS helmet clips put on Impact helmets. The counterfeit clips had both HANS and SFI logos.
According to documents as part of the lawsuit, which deals only with clips and not uniforms, HANS alleges that Impact Racing bought counterfeit clips from China-based Richard Hung Enterprises for $8.90 a set – compared to $41.25 for the real clips – and were sold at a price of $52 a set ($13 below the HANS retail price).
In a deposition filed with the case, Simpson said while he did not dispute the clips were counterfeit, he never authorized anyone to engrave SFI or HANS markings on the clips.

http://nascarphotos.com/category/hans
Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Man this is deep, if you've noticed in the telavised shows of NHRA most of the top fuel and funny car drivers were wearing IMPACT saftey equipment. Makes one wonder if this problem goes back even further, like when Dale Earnhart SR had his accident, was his equipment really certified. I'm glad that i or none of my friends have any Impact suits or equipment. I hope that Bill Simpson is banned forever from producing saftey equipment.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Ok dumb question...is this the same Bill Simpson as in "Simpson" safety equpiment?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ?

Originally Posted by Tod74
Ok dumb question...is this the same Bill Simpson as in "Simpson" safety equpiment?
Tod,
Long STORY?
Short Answer,YES!
Follow thw Breadcrums and you will FIND BILL!
Just another 1 of AMERICA's LOOPHOLES,that the Peice of S#!T Crawled Threw!!
Later
G :twisted:
Anyone INTERESTED in a NICE set of IMPACT 6-Way Funny Car Belts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -