Oil Restrictors

Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Default Oil Restrictors

What's your guys opinion on them. Wondering if i should remove them in my new 540 before i fire it? Reason i'm wondering is would my Isky EZX lifters and T&D rockers like the extra oil?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I think your crank will like the oil better. For intial start up it might be ok. But you only need so much oil up top, any extra is just over kill. The more oil you pump up top, the more chance you have of oil draining back instead of being in the pan where you need it. I would prime your engine first, make sure you use a primer that will allow the oil to go up top.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

They are old school, really no need for them now, plenty of oil up there like mentioned above rather have it in the pan.

You been busy this winter :lol: mine is sitting on the jackstands where it went 2 weeks after bracket finals. Still no motor or trans in it, this cold weather keeps me unmotivated. :shock:
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Just put engine in last night. 10 times the work it should be to just install engine. Mandrel only 1/2 inch from radiator. May have to get another one, this one is a moroso and has two spacers along with one pulley for the vac pump, one pulley for the alternator, and one for the Ron's pump. I may be able to cut the mandrel down a bit. Had to cut out rear motor plate to clear 4 1/2 stroke crank. Vac pump belt only 1/2 from chassis upper rail. Radiator's close so may have to reroute water lines. Everythings new and pretty though.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
They are old school, really no need for them now, plenty of oil up there like mentioned above rather have it in the pan.

You been busy this winter :lol: mine is sitting on the jackstands where it went 2 weeks after bracket finals. Still no motor or trans in it, this cold weather keeps me unmotivated. :shock:
I've been busy blowin' snow. Yeah i think i got all my parts to go back together. I've got a Milodon dragster pan that i added a sump to it and a Accusump so i'll have plenty of oil just didn't want to starve the lifters or rockers too many $$$ invested in them. I think i'll start going back together in the next week or two. Are you going to run the dragster again this year or did you find something else?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
Just put engine in last night. 10 times the work it should be to just install engine. Mandrel only 1/2 inch from radiator. May have to get another one, this one is a moroso and has two spacers along with one pulley for the vac pump, one pulley for the alternator, and one for the Ron's pump. I may be able to cut the mandrel down a bit. Had to cut out rear motor plate to clear 4 1/2 stroke crank. Vac pump belt only 1/2 from chassis upper rail. Radiator's close so may have to reroute water lines. Everythings new and pretty though.
I hate it when its a tight fit with the radiator, sometimes easier to try and get the radiator closer to the blow sheild.I've cut the mandrels down before on past cars with no issues.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
Originally Posted by hammertime

I've been busy blowin' snow. Yeah i think i got all my parts to go back together. I've got a Milodon dragster pan that i added a sump to it and a Accusump so i'll have plenty of oil just didn't want to starve the lifters or rockers too many $$$ invested in them. I think i'll start going back together in the next week or two. Are you going to run the dragster again this year or did you find something else?
The new parts today you shouldnt have any problem getting oil to the lifters/rockers. I have a fellow RJ member planning on coming to look at the car in march so dunno what or if I'll be behind the wheel of something I own this year. I have a standing offer to drive for someone last few years just dont do it but may this year. If I dont sell mine no biggie its a good car and will now be a 7.3-4 car with conv heads
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
engineaction
APPRENTICE

Default Re: Oil Restrictors

Originally Posted by BEAST477
What's your guys opinion on them. Wondering if i should remove them in my new 540 before i fire it? Reason i'm wondering is would my Isky EZX lifters and T&D rockers like the extra oil?
Don't starve your top end either, you need oil up top to help keep your valves springs at a reasonable temp. Oil lubricates and also dissapates heat. We do run restrictors with spray bars in the valve covers. Depends on the application. Straightliners not as critical, endurance, and roundy round engines a little more important.