Blueprint engines crate engine opinions

Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 AM
jsaz666
SHOW GUEST

Default Blueprint engines crate engine opinions

I'm new here, so here is a little about my situation. I just retired from the Army, and I have been telling my wife I will build another go fast car when we are done moving around. I found myself a 67 firebird a couple of weeks ago and it is a very solid car to start with. I want another car capable of driving to the track, run at least into the mid 10's, and drive home. It will be driven primarily on the street, with the weekend trips to the racetrack- which is bandimere in Denver, at 5800' elevation.

My plan is this, build the car inside out, back to front. I am about to pull the trigger on a pre-bent 10 point cage, also making my own subframe connectors this weekend. The rear will be some version of a 9", probably quicktime, mosier or currie, 4L80 trans with manual VB and brake, and the engine will be based on a big block chevrolet. Years ago I had a 70 GTO with a 516" BBC and I want another one. I have heard all the rhetoric about staying with pontiac power, and how I am destroying a firebird, or how I should drop a junkyard LS into it and boost the crap out of it, etc. I am not totally against the LS deal, but a BBC is just so simple.

SO the real question is this- how do I go about the BBC? I have been drooling over a blueprint short deck 598 for a while, and the 3 year 30,000 mile warranty is pretty cool as well. Where I am not completely sold is buying a complete carb to oil pan engine, and maybe going with a shortblock and packaging the rest myself. Thoughts?