CORNWELL OR SNAP ON

Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

The biggest thing I have seen with matco, snap on, mac, and cornwell is alot of the tools are the same just rebadged. Plus if any of you seen the episode of hows it made you would of seen waterloo tool box companys assembly line and when they get to the trim department they were not getting waterloo badges. I will tell you this my buddy has a custom snap-on box with a made in waterloo Ia sticker on it, same goes for my mac tools cart. I beleive all tool boxs come from the same place but each manufacturer requires different quilty when built! As for sockets I only buy snap-on but keep in mind that blue point which is sold by snap-on is made in china or someplace like that.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
drewcrew
SHOW GUEST

I still have some of the Craftsman tools my Dad used over 40 years ago and haven't broken one yet, maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I still think Snap-On is the best. I have lots of their sockets and haven't broken one of them, but they are so expensive.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by coolracing
The biggest thing I have seen with matco, snap on, mac, and cornwell is alot of the tools are the same just rebadged. Plus if any of you seen the episode of hows it made you would of seen waterloo tool box companys assembly line and when they get to the trim department they were not getting waterloo badges. I will tell you this my buddy has a custom snap-on box with a made in waterloo Ia sticker on it, same goes for my mac tools cart. I beleive all tool boxs come from the same place but each manufacturer requires different quilty when built! As for sockets I only buy snap-on but keep in mind that blue point which is sold by snap-on is made in china or someplace like that.
Just like batteries. Many of them are made by US Battery. They are made to different specs and get different cases and decals, but come off the same assy line. We have two US battery plants here.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

ok ive got snap on mac craftsman and some matco and stanley yes stanley few yrs back it was like mac or matco that bought stanley ive had my stanleys for about 4 yrs and havent broke a one now my favorite snap on ratchet has been repaired or replaced 5 times in less then a yr and local snap on dealer is a smug jerk thats me .02
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 AM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
local snap on dealer is a smug jerk

I think that comes with the job! I have yet to meet one thats not!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

ive always had luck with craftsman
Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
ghustler
MASTER BUILDER

I do beleive all Sears just puts in a kit and gives the same one back.
1 thing I notice is the craftsman has a wide clicking area which is hard to get the sockets to turn in tight spaces, where some of the higher priced socket wrenches have tighter sprockets and work better in tight places.
I have several "blackhawk" wrenches and they are indestructible.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Does anyone remember yeeeears ago when Walmart used to sell Popular Mechanic tools? I bought a very complete ratchet and socket set from there right before I started driving,which would have been early 1996. Havent lost or broken a single piece yet! I did break a snapon pivoting head ratchet ,though.And a Craftsman breaker bar.But have never broken any of the PM stuff.Being a Chevy guy with the same set of sockets for over 15 years I have wore the engraving plum off my 9/16 socket. It's just smooth now

I'm a big fan of Kobalt right now.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

For years, Craftsman, Snap on, Matco, S&K and several other premium brands of wrenches, and other steel hand tools were made at Western Forge in Colorado Springs. They all came out of the same foundry using the same equipment. The only difference was the design specs from each retailer . . and how shiny they were. The shinier, the more expensive . .

At one time, I had a huge tool box full of Snap On and Matco hand tools . . then I got clear out of the business and hobby . . since then, in the last 30 years I've built two race cars and a street rod with mostly Craftsman Tools . . can't really complain about any of them, other than the old fine ratcheting Ratchets, both Snap On and Craftsman wear out faster than they used to . . And, I haven't "Broken" any of them . . Use 'em as they were designed to be used and you won't . .

But then again, to each his own . . . . .
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I broke my 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar and the Snap-on ratchet using one hand on it. My PM 1/4" has seen more pressure than that Snap-on 3/8 did. Sears exchanged the breaker bar with no questions.Snap-on was not so nice and therefore has never sold me another tool. :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -