welding flux or argon???

Old 05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default welding flux or argon???

which one u guys think is better ??? pros and cons on both?? and which is stronger
Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Since you said "flux" I would assume you are mig welding.
Flux core wire is ok, but you need to clean off the weld after. For gas use a co2/argon mix , it is 75/25 of each. Do not use strait argon with mig, and do not use the co2/argon mix with tig...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 AM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

yes mig welding some brackets on a chassis ..so u think flux wire will be ok i have read that it penetrates better but not as pretty... yes i clean it with a wire brush after every weld....seems like it hold really good just thought about switching over since i already got wire just need argon...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:49 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Yeah, pure argon is for TIG welding aluminums and stainless,or the exotics like chromemolly. Be CAREFULL! the way it works is by displacing oxygen. It can suffocate you quick in a confined area.

With an ER70 series solid wire on mild steel (1040's) CO2 is just fine and least expensive. 75/25 and TriMix generate more heat but don't figure in to the strength given the same penetration and bead profile. Largely dependent on deposited weld metal strenght (ER70=70,000psi tensile) and profile (width, height, depth....)

Several manufactures offer quality Flux-cored wires, in various diameters.

As with most welding proceedures, the final "strength" (quality) is proper proceedure by the operator (skill).

Proper equipment, materials, and application = success!

If you'd like, give me model machine, dia wire, mat'l thickness, etc. and I'd be glad to give you specific pointer's .
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
bryanm
JUNIOR BUILDER

I have found that using an argon mix makes for a better weld with less spatter but doesnt necessarily penetrate any better, but I would definatley use argon instead of using flux wire. Maybe I just never got the hang of it but the beads always seemed to be bigger and bulkier than with other wire.