Front tire size question

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Ok so you got to find that happy tire size for the car. Not to big and not to small so you wont keep turning the red light on. Ok I'm learning something new everyday.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default tires

I'd say the most important thing is to be consistent. Try to stage the same everytime. You can adjust the delay box if you use one to bring the reaction time down to an acceptable level. But if you stage differently you'll end up red lighting and that's the end of the day for you.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Do you have ot run a delay box? If so what does it do? LOL Sorry I got to learn a lot. I didnt realize how much there was to learn about drag racin.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Box

The delay box is optional . In some classes it's not allowed. Basically it allows you to leave on the first amber in bracket racing. The lights go amber, amber, amber and green unless you leave early. If you leave early there is no green, only red. There is a half second between each amber. So, you have 1.5 seconds before the green. The reaction time of you plus the response time of the car is what you try to minimize. The delay box allows you to release the trans brake at the first amber and it waits the amount of time that you dial into it before the transbrae actually releases. This allows you to focus on one light, rather than three. If you stage consistently, you can be deadly on the tree. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Oh this helps out alot. I dont hink I will run the delay box just for the fact that it aint allowed on some tracks or classes. Im pretty good at launching and i can time the launch pretty good. I went down a 1/8mi track in my celica using the tree. Never did get a red light and always got the jump on the guy in the other lane. So I just hope I can do the same thing with pros
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

The reason a delay box helps is it is easier to react to the first flash you see rather than have to watch the ambers drop and anticipate it...plus with most delay boxes you can cross over and use the other guy's top bulb if you are faster...that way you KNOW when it's coming(just after you both stage) if you are faster than the other guy and his tree starts and your top bulb isn't on yet you never really know when it's coming...sorta.if that makes sense.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Yes it does help alot. I think I will have to actually get in a car with the delay box down the strip to get the feel for it. Just by how it is described i dont think I will be able to use it. I think I will get caught off gaurd when it decides to go and I will miss a shift. I hope I explained it good.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Here is an in car video to see a delay box in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR9-N0l9KOw
Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I was running a 26 in tall tire and was red lighting -.020 or worse, went to a 28 in tall tire and now get .020 to -.010 light.

I'm able to leave on the third bulb in steed of having to pause. which is my gole

I'm a foot braker.