weight loss

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
Originally Posted by lively
100 LBS IS CHEAP HORSEPOWER 8) 8) THE LESS WEIGHT YOU HAVE TO GET MOVING AND HAUL THE DISTANCE THE BETTER

IF YOU APPLY SEVERAL WIEGHT REDUCTIONS TOGETHER IT ADDS UP QUICK/ OR YOU CAN JUST SPEND BIG BUCKS FOR BIG HORSEPOWER AND JUST FORCE YOUR WAY TO THE BETTER ET.

$5000.00 IS A GOOD STARTING POINT!!!! ops: ops:
:shock: :shock:

LIVELY
Lively's pic shows what it should look like when your done........lol

I grew up around dirt track racing and I used to sorta get a kick out of some of the sprint car teams and their obsession with getting those already featherlite cars even lighter...I once was in the pits at Paragon back when Steve Kinser drove for Karl Kinser and I looked at their car..there was no padding on the seat and they had great big holes cut in it to save weight...then I saw Steve , who looked to be about 230 lbs, eat about 25 hotdogs before the feature. :lol:
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bigmack
no i;m not going to drive it on the street. i have fiberglass door and lexan windows for the car but everyone i talk to about installing the doors and lexan they want a arm or leg or both, so i just thought i would remove the door motors and glass and install the lexan for now. man it's hard when you are doing this stuff by your self for the first time. :cry:
it,s not easy, but may not be as hard as you think, as for the windows, make card board templets, using the old windows. who,s fiberglass doors do you have?.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Take a look at a bunch of other cars, that you race with,,I started out at over 3500 lbs with my car, and after shaving weight here and there, I`m down to 2700 lbs. and I still drive it on the street as well as race at the track. for every 100 lbs you loose, you should gain a 10th of a second, and make it easier on parts, you can also look at your brakes and wheels, for easier and lighter rotating mass, once you start looking around at what you dont need anymore in the car it just gets easier and easier to loose weight, you said you dont drive it on the street anymore, so lots can go, and you wont even need the glass doors, which "are" a real pain in the a$$.at least for now,,work on front aluminum brakes lighter wheels, back window- lexan, power windows and crash bars, sway bars, heater, wipers, and lots more,if you are all stock equipped, should be easy to gain at least a second off your time, and not even touch the engine.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
bigmack
JUNIOR BUILDER

man i appreciate all great ideals that's coming in. i think for now i'm going to leave the stock doors on and remove the door motors and crash bars and install the lexan windows sense i already paid for the lexan.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
bigmack
JUNIOR BUILDER

oh yeah the doors are glassteks.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I use all nylock nuts just so I don't have to use lockwashers. I run pushlock hose instead of braided ss when I can. Lots of ways to save weight. Leave it to those dragster drivers to buy all the bling. No offense hammertime, dragsterjosh, and others. :lol: :lol:

Curtis
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

i have always built my cars with this idea-------IF YOU TAKE IT OFF AND REALLY DON'T THINK YOU NEED IT THEN THROW IT IN THE AIR -IF IT HITS THE GROUND THEN THROW IT AWAY[IT IS TOOOOO HEAVY]

MY RANCHERO WILL WEIGH RIGHT AROUND 2480 WHEN FINISHED[IT TAKES ALOT LESS ENGINE TO MOVE THAT WEIGHT] AND WILL BE RUN ON THE STREET AND DRAG RACED :lol:
I KNOW GUYS WITH MY FORD ENGINE I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BUT I THINK 500 CUBIC ENGINES?????? WILL MOVE IT ALONG PRETTY GOOD :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

LIVELY
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i owned a 89 10.5 outlaw camaro at one time. It was the test car for southside suspension

the best advise i can give you here is lose the crash bar up front. and invest in a tublar k-member with a-arms its all factory bolt on stuff.

the reason i say this is beacuse the k-membr kit will serve dual puposes which will be more pratcial for you #1 the weight #2 it will free up valuable header and oil pan space..in these cars you will need it.

the rear glass will shed a lot of weight but you may not want to lose the weight in that area..it could work against you.

depending on what your wanting to do with the car..if its gonna be a street car with a little play time at the strip dont bother rapeing the car....i get a kick out of people that scream weight,weight,weight...and then tell us the car will be a street car.....weight loss only applies getting the car moving from a dead stop ( leaving the line)..you take a street car running down the highway it can be 6,000 lbs..doesn't matter once its in motion thats it..its in motion..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Hey I havent always been a dragster guy with bling...lol...

Going to the glasstech doors will save a bunch of weight. On my firebird between going to VFN fiberglass doors, All lexan windows, removing the crash bars, heater box and some other misc I lost over 300 pounds. If I remeber right close to 400 pounds.

It was a big difference. Now about the only weight I can lose is on the treadmill...lol...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

KEEP ON JOGGING JUST KEEP ON JOGGING :lol: :lol: :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -