Does my combo need a return line? Need help

Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
tweekd
APPRENTICE

Default Does my combo need a return line? Need help

I have an 86 camaro. It has a 383. Right now there is a '6 line from the tank to the holley blue electric pump. Then it goes from the pum to an aeromotive two port regulator. then from the regulator into the dual feed line and into the carb.

When I turned the pump on it seemed to just start dumping fuel into the carb. I turned it off before it would flood it out.

My question is would it have stopped dumping fuel when the carb filled up or just kept flooding.

Do I need to run a return from the dual feed line to the tank? How about from the regulator to the tank?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Does my combo need a return line? Need help

Originally Posted by tweekd
I have an 86 camaro. It has a 383. Right now there is a '6 line from the tank to the holley blue electric pump. Then it goes from the pum to an aeromotive two port regulator. then from the regulator into the dual feed line and into the carb.

When I turned the pump on it seemed to just start dumping fuel into the carb. I turned it off before it would flood it out.

My question is would it have stopped dumping fuel when the carb filled up or just kept flooding.

Do I need to run a return from the dual feed line to the tank? How about from the regulator to the tank?

Thanks!

You shouldnt need a return with that setup, done it many times without one. Where is your float level set at ? when you say its dumping fuel in you mean a bunch ? How about over power the needle and seat, which you would need to lower the fuel pressure ? what do you have that set at ?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

need to check fuel pressure,i would say thats the problem
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I replied to one similar to this yetserday. Some regualtors are designed for returns & specific pumps... I just ran a return from my reg of my BBC Camaro the other day. A "deadhead" style reulator should not need a return line... but others, if they do not have it, will create excessive pressure to the carb & cause major flooding... if you crack the float bowl nut while it is running, no matter where the floats are set, fuel will puke out @ a rapid rate... causing flooding. Make sure you have the right reg for your pump & know if it requires a return or not. Good luck to you!!