considering a magneto..advice please

Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default considering a magneto..advice please

Just wondered what you guys are running,what you like and what you hate.Also,does anyone make a kit where you can run a rev limiter with a magneto?I can't find one.Do they hold up well?Thanks for your help.

Ya'll ever heard of a name brand "Krag"?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

never messed with mags,i use msd (can't beat it ),don't like mallory. good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Mags takes more HP to run than a conventual dist. IE MSD. The reason that most sprinters run them is because they don't run batteries. I've run one in comparison to a MSD unit and saw no gain, nor did i notice any loss. The cost difference between a 6al setup and a mag is about the same if you're talking about the old style mag. i have a 6al and 7al and i don't notice any difference in them either. I don't use anything other than a 2 step and i know the 6al doesn't have all the whisles and bells that a 7al does.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default mag

what feul are you running, if you are running alchol then a mag is a good choice and also another good choice is the MSD 10plus it will fire even nitro and then you can hook up trans brake, rev limiter all with one box ..
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks guys.Considering a mag just to try and prevent dragging a charger and generator everywhere.Trying to make life easy!I'm not made of money,but anything I can do to be more reliable(no mo' dead batteries)I am willing to spend on.My local track is small and hurried.Don't have much time to charge and sometimes might have to hot lap it 2 or 3 passes.Just looking for something easy to live with.Don't want anything hard to get parts for,either.Just weighing my options.Thanks for any and all ideas!!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Haven't fired it yet, still fitting stuff together, but I'm looking forward to it.

This is my 351W that's going in my '68 Falcon. $150 for the Vertex off ebay, $450 to have it completely rebuilt and 'amped up' by Spud Miller.

I don't have a charging system on the car and my battery just wasn't satisfying the MSD distributor and 6AL. When I turned my cooling fan on the engine RPM's dropped.

This is an injected alcohol set up.

Murff

Edit: Darnit, pic didn't post. Go to www.murphysromance.com and click on '68 Falcon on sidebar.

Murff
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Unless your running forced induction or fuel I would stick with a MSD ( or ?? ) Ign. Mags are tested using 1 HP motors so that they cant drawing that much HP to run. But yes they do take more

Idle quality sucks and they tend to load up. They run great down track !! I ran one for maybe 14 yrs. and finally switched over to a MSD in 2005. I still have the Mag ... just in case.

There is a company called " wyotech " that makes a 2 step and RPM activated on / off switches for the Mallory stuff. I have the guys contact info if needed. He also offered a couple of things for the Vertex Mags too. I think Autometer makes stuff for the Mallory 3's & 4's.

Spud Miller is a great guy to work with as is Don Zig.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:05 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks dcarr.Never heard that about poor idle.Wonder why that is?Ya'll reckon the Mallory is a good piece?I've always had a Mallory dist,going on 10 yrs now.Never one problem.Swap over to MSD and the durn battery gets low and leaves me sitting in the lanes with no fire.My old Mallory would fire up no matter how bad the motor was dragging to start.So far,not so impressed with MSD.6al works fine,but running straight off the box sucks......big time!!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 AM
jpshepley
SHOW GUEST

Have you looked into the aussie company ICE ignitions, lots of guys use them here & have had great results. I'm sure they export to the states.

Josh
Old 06-24-2008, 03:11 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by olds48
Thanks dcarr.Never heard that about poor idle.Wonder why that is?Ya'll reckon the Mallory is a good piece?
Not much spark at idle .... And yes the Mallory's are good pieces. IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -